new to cycling...need some advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sahabo

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I'm just a newbie who didn't do enough research before getting my betta and trusted the guy at my LFS (big mistake:mad:). Had I done my homework, I would have opted to cycle my tank before adding the betta. Needless to say, that didn't happen. And so, like many other newbie situations, my betta is toughing it out while I learn about proper care.

This morning I tested the water and got the first ammonia reading since I've had my betta - .25ppm. NitrIte was 0. I immediately did a 25% water change. Then I tested the ammonia again and it seemed to be somewhere between 0 and .25. I mean it was hard to tell...there was just the tiniest bit of green in the yellow. Then I had to run to work. Should I do another partial change when I get home this afternoon?

As long as you can keep the Ammonia levels below 0.5ppm you're doing well. I wouldn't worry overly about a result between 0 and 0.25ppm, just keep an eye on it.

Thanks Purrbox. Being new to this hobby, I am, of course, constantly worrying that I am doing some that wrong that will kill my new companion! It's interesting, because I've heard different advice on ammonia levels when first cycling the tank. Someone one AA posted in the getting started/common newbie pitfalls thread:

"The BEST way to avoid further damage and future fish death where you have an uncycled tank AND fish alraedy in the tank is to keep all tank levels (ammonia/nitrIte, and nitrAte) at just ABOVE being undetectable. As long as you can detect a small amount of ammonia and nitrIte in the tank your bacteria have all the food they need to survive and multiply. As their numbers increase the amount of food they require will increase and thus less excess will need to be removed, until finally there will be no detectable ammonia or nitrIte levels in the tank."

However, I've read other advice that says the ammonia levels should always be at zero, no matter what, becuase of the potential damage to fish at even very low levels.

I've also heard people saying (including my LFS) that bettas are tough fish and can handle almost anything. And others who have said that although bettas might be able to survive a lot, they won't thrive and will probably get sick or damaged as they tough it out.

For a beginner, it's hard to sort it all out. I've dealt with it by monitoring my betta closely, watching for changes in his behavior and appearance and learning from all you experienced hobbyists on this forum.

Keeping your ammonia and nitrite levels at 0ppm is of course ideal. If they go over 1ppm, then you definately need to be doing water changes to protect your fish. Even better is to do a water change if levels go over 0.5ppm. The closer you can keep the ammonia and nitrite leves to 0ppm during cycling, the better it is for your fish.

Bettas are very hardy fish, and as a result they often have to endure more than they should at the hands of inexperianced hobbiests. Better water quality will lead to a healthier, more active fish that has a much better appearance. Poor conditions lead to damage that may or may not be visible. Poor behavior, color, finnage, etc.

So this morning I tested the ammonia and it was still somewhere between 0 and .25ppm. I decided to do a partial water change (last one was Tuesday morning). I did a 30% water change, tested the ammonia again, and it was still the same level. Does that make sense? Shouldn't it have gone down to 0? Maybe I should do 50% next time?

What are you using to dechloronate your water, and how long after the water change did you test? The chloramines the water company puts in the water can trigger a response in the ammonia test. Try testing some water straight out of the tap and see what you get there.

What type of test kit are you using?

Since you were only removing a % of the Ammonia present in the water it makes sense that it would still be barely detectible.

What are you using to dechloronate your water, and how long after the water change did you test? The chloramines the water company puts in the water can trigger a response in the ammonia test. Try testing some water straight out of the tap and see what you get there.

What type of test kit are you using?

I use AmQuel to dechlorinate. I tested ammonia right after the water change; I didn't wait. Also I have tested straight tap water and it tested negative (0ppm) for ammonia. I use the API liquid test kit.

Ok. Then, like Purr said, 30% might not be enough to make any effect when you're talking about trace levels of ammonia anyway.

Alright. Next time I'll do 50% water change. I'm trying not to be paranoid, but you know how it is :D

Hi Sahabo

I am just backing up what Purrbox says. Keep your tank's ammonia level under 0.5ppm by checking every day and doing water changes where necessary. As long as you do that, you and your betta should get though the experience just fine.

If you haven't already, you should soon see nitrite level rise. The principle is the same... Nitrite should be kept below 0.5ppm.

This should go on for around 4-6 weeks. Then, both levels will return to 0 and when that happens, you can consider yourself cycled.

After your tank is cycled, then the statement "ammonia levels should always be at zero, no matter what" generally rings true.... That is until you add more fish, thus adding more poop (ammonia) and your bio load needs time to catch up... remember that every rule has its exceptions.

And just a personal opinion about "tough" fish, but I think the whole concept that some fish are hardy and are "good for cycling" is myth perpetuated by fish shops who are either not in habit of helping you (looking for dollars) or just don't know any better. All fish suffer when surrounded by a polluted environment, just like any land-based animal would suffer if they were exposed to an environment where there was too much smoke or CO2 in the atmosphere.

Good luck to you and your Betta. I'm sure everyone here would love to see a picture :)

Good luck to you and your Betta. I'm sure everyone here would love to see a picture :)

Awww...I'd be too embarrassed to post a picture here. Although I think my betta is so beautiful, he lives in a humble environment. Nothing like the amazing planted tanks or set ups I've seen on this forum. Just the stuff I bought when i got him, gavel, soft plastic plants, a shell, and later a heater and an ugly sponge filter (though it works great!). Until my financial situation changes, I om a spending freeze and can't enhance his tank. I'd love to replace the plants with live ones, get some driftwood in there, a background, etc.

Back
Top Bottom