New To FW 30Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Semi-Aggresive:
-School of Barbs (Your choice between Tigers or Green Tigers, get around 15.)
-School of Cories (Your choice on type, get around 5.)
-2 BN Plecos
-Small group of dianos. (Your choice on type but try to stay smallish, get around 6)
-Red-tailed shark. (Try to get one or two of those.)
not to start anything but that is way over stocking with the barbs alone much less the other fish. Its 81" if you add all the fish up and he shouldnt have more than 40" and thats if he has extra good stuff for his tank.

Read thrrough this thread. Your list is nice.

Here is whats in my 29 gallon
36" 96x2 Corallife PC lighting
Aquaclear 60 HOB (soont to be rene canister)
Visitherm 150W heater
10lbs EcoComplete
Slate
4 pieces small DW
Tank is planted so pool filter sand would work if you go with fake plants and a much smaller light.
CO2 injection

Stocking list: (Current list)
1 Pair GBRs
10 Rummy nose tetras
8 Glowlights
4 long finned Danios
5 Ottos

My tank is slightly overstocked. But it is heavily planted and can handle a slightly higher bioload.

With what? More specific please.

what you would do with a 30gallon with a clean slate.

just got some sand (not pfs, fine aragonite, will be mixing with pfs though) and a black background. and also, just making sure, could i use the 16 as the place where i send all of the fry to grow up? would i need to divide the different species?

not to start anything but that is way over stocking with the barbs alone much less the other fish. Its 81" if you add all the fish up and he shouldnt have more than 40" and thats if he has extra good stuff for his tank.

Well most experience fish keepers can keep as many fish as they want when they keep up with PWC and have a well filter on there tank.

what you would do with a 30gallon with a clean slate.

just got some sand (not pfs, fine aragonite, will be mixing with pfs though) and a black background. and also, just making sure, could i use the 16 as the place where i send all of the fry to grow up? would i need to divide the different species?

I like the majority of FishCrazyBenBOMB's equipment list. If you have the money then i would suggest a bigger filter (just makes your life easier and is always better to have bigger). And for the heater i woulf definatly suggest a bigger heat something like Jnam's like a 150 watt or bigger. for lights heres what i would get: All-Glass Single Deluxe Strip Light 36''. Pool filter sand is good and a back round of your choice matters what your fish look good with (ex ample mine wouldn't look so good with a black back round because they are black). Tetra Whisper 20 Air pump and a 4 or 5 inch air stone ( air tubing included) i wouldn't personally get bigger because i dont like thhe way they look when they are real big. Since your such a newbie i would not have live plants. I would get a nice piece of drift wood though along with a bunch of fake plants and decor. I helped you make your stocking list and i loike it so i wouldn't chang it. ;)

OK then you want me to prove it i will be happy to start a thread (with pole) about it.

Go right ahead baby. Have fun. Just to tell you this now this doesn't show that your any more experienced by posting a thread, it just gets peoples past experience. Anyways yeah do what you want have fun little boy.

Java moss, Java fern, and anubias are very easy to care for in a low light tank they will grow slowly but thats ok fake plants dont grow at all. LOL.. Argonite is calcium based so you may not want to use it. The calcium will get in your water column and play havoc on your PH. PFS is so cheap and is the same color as argonite you'll prolly be ok. As far as your stocking list goes I think Mike and Ben are both right. Depending on the level of care you wish to give to the tank Mike smaller stocking list would better suite you. If you dont mind maintaining the water quality on a more frequent basis then Ben's list will give you a very colorful and movement filled community tank. The inch per gallon rule is kinda like the watts per gallon rule a guideline to keep it safe and somewhat simple. Some fish are dirtier than others. For instance Bens Cories and bn plecos that he suggested really contribute very little to the bioload so the could count as half their size in the inch per gallon rule. The barbs are fine so long as they are young. When they mature they may be a little big they are medium scale on the bioload, but PWC could make up for thier size. Danios are so energetic they also contribute very little to the bioload. Its all a matter of maintenance. As far as inch per gallon my 29 would be at about 50" at Mikes count and I have no problems with amonia or nitrite levels. But to mike's credit if you pick a stocking list similar to Ben's when you barbs grow up you will have almost daily maintenance to keep water quality within a reasonable range. My 29 tank is heavily planted and can "absorb" a little higher bioload with fewer PWCs so maybe that is going to be my suggestion. If you dont mind a higher maintenance tank go withBen's list. If you want somewhat simpler maintenance go with Mike's. IMO

Go right ahead baby. Have fun. Just to tell you this now this doesn't show that your any more experienced by posting a thread, it just gets peoples past experience. Anyways yeah do what you want have fun little boy.
OK the thread will be started today and will end on the 1st of January. Oh and if i'm so wrong why dont you get a 30g and stock it with those fish hope you have alot of money to waste cause you are gonna lose alot of it. Oh and dont clog the toliot remember no more than 5 fish in the toliot at once.

okok, settle down boyz. *(cough, ill own both of you in sw, cough)*
LOL, really tho settle down. =]

and i cant id the sand so im just going to put it aside and find some pfs. ill use it for my sw i guess.

Back
Top Bottom