Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-01-2013, 11:09 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian086 View Post
I would suggest testing your tap water. It could contain medium/high Nitrates in which the 'basic' math rules becomes void. Mine is 40+, the only real way to reduce it in my case, is to use real plants. Also try and get some media off your mate, gravel or filter media would be best. Remember to keep both wet when transferring it to your tank. The water from his/her tank is useless, even if the Nitrates were low......
Thanks for the response. I tested the tap water last week and thankfully it showed 0 nitrates. The high nitrates were definately from my friends water.

In terms of real plants, I have java moss in there but that's it. What other live plants could I put in there with just gravel and the basic hood light my tank came with?

Old 07-01-2013, 11:18 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekeymaker57 View Post
Thanks for the response. I tested the tap water last week and thankfully it showed 0 nitrates. The high nitrates were definately from my friends water.

In terms of real plants, I have java moss in there but that's it. What other live plants could I put in there with just gravel and the basic hood light my tank came with?
WaterSprite and Wisteria are two great low light plants and will soak up the Nitrates. They grow like weeds and can be planted or floated. I'm a noob with plants but I know they both work great. They do for me!!!!

Old 07-01-2013, 11:21 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian086 View Post
WaterSprite and Wisteria are two great low light plants and will soak up the Nitrates. They grow like weeds and can be planted or floated. I'm a noob with plants but I know they both work great. They do for me!!!!
Also they are VERY easy to look after. No Co2 or ferts needed. Just trim them as they grow....
Old 07-21-2013, 09:31 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I also agree with testing your tap water. Mine is also high, we use well water and have farmland completely surrounding us which contributes to nitrates in the ground water.
I'm also cycling a brand new tank (first one) and was confused because my nitrates were high from the beginning. Didn't even realize - duh - until I tested the tap water. My plan is to use half r/o water, half tap and depend on the plants in my tank to keep nitrates under control.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:33 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Just noticed that you've tested your tap, that's great that you have no nitrates! I'm green with envy
Old 07-22-2013, 08:36 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nitrates

Hello...

If I'm not mistaken, nitrates are at the end of the "nitrogen cycle", so even higher levels aren't a problem. High levels, over a longer period may stress the fish a bit. Floating plants like Brazilian water weed (Anacharis) and Pennywort are two of the best for using added nitrates in the tank water. A company by the name of Acurel has a fiber medium that's specifically for nitrate removal. The combination is very effective in removing forms of nitrogen.

B

Tags
cycle

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com