Now What... Fish-less Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Koppriecht

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello

I started my fish-less cycle in my 110 gallon tank about 3 weeks ago. I finally got my Ammonia down to .25 ppm, Nitrite is 0 ppm, and Nitrate is around 40 ppm. Is it time for a water change and at what percent?

Curious

Ok, so I drained 90% of the tank water. Now I am filling it back up. Do I add Prime to dechlorinate the water before I add ammonia?

Yes. Chlorine will kill all your hard work. Turn off your filter, De-Chlorinate the water before putting it in if possible.

I read up on dechlorination and it seems to be pretty instant. I made sure the filter was off and filled the tank around 20%, then added Prime. I filled the tank all the way before turning on the filter at the end. Then I added some ammonia. I will test the levels in the morning. I think all is well.

I always add prime to the bucket before I put water in. This way it mixes when I fill it, then add the water to the tank. Chlorine is bad stuff when it comes to the aquarium. What you did is probably fine, but for the future might want to make sure the prime is added first!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom