plants, shrimps, otos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxima423

Aquarium Advice Addict
so i am on aqadvisor and it says that i need more filtration ( planning to use a aquaclear 30 on a 20g long and a aquaclear 50 if i decide to go with a 30g ), how much will plants, shrimps and otos help with cleaning the tank?

More information is really needed to answer that question well.

What are you planning to stock that's causing the need for more filtration? IME, AquaAdvisor is very pessimistic on a filter's abilities.

Plants can do a good job of absorbing nitrates and providing oxygen if you have the right plants. They're still not a replacement for water changes.

Otos are really good at cleaning up diatoms. I haven't had much luck getting them to reduce other algaes. Maybe they just keep the algae in check and I'd have more if I didn't have the otos, but I don't know.

Shrimp are good at picking up leftover food. Mine are constantly eating, so they must be cleaning up something. I have a feeling that much of it is small particles that I wouldn't notice anyways.

i plan to get atleast:

1 betta
swordtails 1 male and 4 females ( dont know what kind yet but most likely http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+1102+1099&pcatid=1099 , http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+1535+2953&pcatid=2953 or http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+1102+2705&pcatid=2705 i dont know if its correct but it says 59.99$ for a pair.. i dunno if they mean 5.99$ but if it is 59.99$... ill go with the other two )
5 Japonica Amano Shrimp ( a LFS buys from a breeder whenever a customer asks for some )
3 Starry Night Pleco ( ordering from LiveAquaria ) or 3-4 otos

if i am really overstocked, i might just go with fancy guppies instead of swords

the plants i am going to add are:

watersprite ( maybe two on each side )
java ferns ( depending on how big the driftwood, i will be surrounding it with java fern )
Radican Sword, Brazilian Sword, Ozelot Sword, Melon Sword, Amazon Swords ( about 2-3 of each maybe... dont know yet )

i will be ordering all of these plants from LiveAquaria if i cant find some in my LFS

there will also be a piece of driftwood in the middle of the tank, about 20 inches long or so

It's the plecos that are causing the problem. I wouldn't put three plecos in that small of a tank. One or two tops.

Those swordtails will have your tank overpopulated in no time.

I'd rethink the sword plants. Make sure the varieties you pick won't outgrow the tank. I have two amazon swords that are busting out of my 29g.

mmhmm the plecos T_____T **** ok, i guess i can just add 1, as for the breeding, i dont think i want to breed, if it happens, than i dont think i would do anything but let nature takes its course T____T as for the swords, i know they grow pretty big, but those plants are like what i am trying to build around so maybe ill just try 1 of each and see how that goes

to add to the pleco thing.... i am assuming you were thinking of this one? Starry Night Pleco (L-59)

well Starlight pleco for the most part is L183
Ancistrus dolichopterus • Loricariidae • Cat-eLog • PlanetCatfish

they say its L59 which still doesnt match the pic
Ancistrus hoplogenys • Loricariidae • Cat-eLog • PlanetCatfish

3rd its out of stock and along with many plecos its up there but might never come in stock again. who knows what you will get if its exactly like that one i would look up to figure out what one it is. if you figure that out at least you will know if you have a chance or not of it ever coming back into stock.

as for the filters i normally take it amount they say and cut it in half. is it a absolute no. if you have plants that will help.

how much will plants, shrimps and otos help with cleaning the tank?
like bigjim said its no means a replacement but they help a little.

Japonica Amano Shrimp
are good for hair algae

wouldnt add otos at least right away.... they are better for established tanks. i really think that its best to add fish because you like them not a means to a end.

there are swords that will work like the tropica sword. it only gets 6-8 inch.

Back
Top Bottom