Pump size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Merhlyn

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone,

I'm starting at 55 gallon freshwater tank. I am going to be using a undergrad and I'd like to know what size pumps I should get. Also should I just stick with two lift tubes or go for four?

Michael
Manchester, Michigan

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Hi Coralbandit,

Thanks for getting back to me, I am going with the under gravel filter because I live on a busy road and the sound of the bubbles going through the tubes is good white noise for my bedroom.

Merhlyn

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I'm old school and UG filters give the tank a more natural environment in my opinion. I'd go with 4 lift tubs as it keeps the o2 levels the highest and increases the bacteria count and affectiveness. I would also highly recommend getting two medium air driven sponge filters or 1 large one rated for 120gal. You can hide the sponge with plants or rock work. I use large 120gal sponge filters in all my tanks 10gals-55gals. Any tank over 20gal gets two sponges.

A Coralife Luft pump will give you power to spare with zero noise. I've used them for years.

Back
Top Bottom