Question about Cherry Shrimp? I was thinking of adding some to my tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Can I add a Cherry Shrimp to this tank? (Please read details below)

• Yes! You sure can.

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • NO... you certainly CANNOT.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not really. It's possible, but not ideal.

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mandy2936

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi! I was wondering if I could have any Cherry Shrimp in my tank... Here are the details:

20g High, Sand Substrate, and all silk plants except for a Bamboo Stalk.

6 Male Guppies
4 Julii Cories
7 Neon Tetra

If my tank is fully stocked as is I would take away a Guppy to make room.

1. My concern is that having two bottom feeders, the Cherry Shrimp and the Cories, they would run into a conflict with each other. Is this so? I don't want the Cories to bully or eat the Shrimp.

2. How big do Cherry Shrimp get?

3. I'm planning on feeding my Cories algae wafers. Would this be okay for the Shrimp too?

4. Do the Cherry Shrimp need Java Moss? Because I can't get any more live plants.

5. Do the Cherry Shrimp need to be in large groups? I was thinking of getting 2.
Should I get 2 males or 2 females? I don't think I would want breeding...

Also, I know that if you have light gravel or sand (mines white...) the Shrimp will become pale. Is this harmful or unhealthy in any way? If it's only a looks thing than I don't mind. But if it is bad for them, then that's different.

Thanks so much for the help! I've never owned Cherry Shrimp and this is my first tank other than a Betta tank!

P.S (Edit)
I want the Cherry Shrimp because everyday I have to siphon up this brown debris that settles on the floor. (I think it's from the live plant)
Also, I have some algae that could use a little help.
When I saw a picture of these guys, I thought they were so cute! I would love it if I could have one in my tank.
Thanks again!

Last edited:
your tank is pretty much safe for the cherry shrimp

1) thats not a problem at all

2) like 2 inches

3) yes they eat about everything i have read

4) i think they are fine with any live plants

5) i dont think they do

your tank is pretty much safe for the cherry shrimp

+1

1) thats not a problem at all
+1
2) like 2 inches
That would be a monster. lol 1"-1.5".
3) yes they eat about everything i have read
+1
4) i think they are fine with any live plants
+1
5) i dont think they do
They are typically sold as juvies and too young to sex, but if you can get specific adults, sure 2 males would work.

I guess that's a plus 4?. Is the bamboo submerged? Be wary, it is non-aquatic and will rot slowly if it is.

That sounds like a VERY nice tank stocking! :)

1. No problem here. I keep my RCS with a bunch of panda cories.

2. 1" - 1.25" That may even be a bit generous. They stay small.

3. My shrimp never touch algae wafers. Neither do my cories for that matter.

4. Mine prefer the java moss over the water sprite and anacharis, but they also spend a lot of time on the sand, which they're not supposed to do.

5. I'd get a larger group if you're trying to establish a breeding population. Start with fifteen or so.

6. I keep mine in tanks with white sand. The males are usually clear, but the females maintain a lot of red. They're not the solid cherry red, but they're still red. When the shrimp bury themselves in the moss, they turn cherry red and look awesome! I'm pretty sure it's only an appearance thing.

7. I'm don't think the shrimp will eat your dead plants. I'd try to get the plants healthy rather than rely on the shrimp to clean up. Algae may be another story. RCS only eat certain types though.

Follow-Up questions

1. No problem here. I keep my RCS with a bunch of panda cories.

2. 1" - 1.25" That may even be a bit generous. They stay small.

3. My shrimp never touch algae wafers. Neither do my cories for that matter.

Then what do you feed them?

4. Mine prefer the java moss over the water sprite and anacharis, but they also spend a lot of time on the sand, which they're not supposed to do.

They aren't? I don't have Java Moss and I can't get any more live plants... so you're saying they're not okay without it?

5. I'd get a larger group if you're trying to establish a breeding population. Start with fifteen or so.

As stated in my question, I don't want breeding. So in that case, 2 would be okay?

6. I keep mine in tanks with white sand. The males are usually clear, but the females maintain a lot of red. They're not the solid cherry red, but they're still red. When the shrimp bury themselves in the moss, they turn cherry red and look awesome! I'm pretty sure it's only an appearance thing.

Ok, good. I don't want them to be sick or stressed.

7. I'm don't think the shrimp will eat your dead plants. I'd try to get the plants healthy rather than rely on the shrimp to clean up. Algae may be another story. RCS only eat certain types though.

Haha no I don't have dead plants, but this annoying grainy stuff that looks like dirt keeps showing up on my sand.. but I don't have fish so I don't know where it could have come from, that's why I guessed my bamboo plant. But no, I am not suggesting that the shrimp will eat my dead plants, lol

Thanks!

Follow-Up Questions

I guess that's a plus 4?. Is the bamboo submerged? Be wary, it is non-aquatic and will rot slowly if it is.

Yes, I am aware. Thanks for the heads up though.

That sounds like a VERY nice tank stocking! :)
Should I take away a guppy, meaning only having 5, so i can have the two cherry shrimp, or what?

Thanks!

Be aware that the guppies might cause problems for your shrimp...in their native habitat, small dwarf shrimp similar to RCS make up a part of the guppies' natural diet. Full grown adult shrimp should *probably* be okay, but unless your tank is very very thickly planted, I would not expect any shrimp babies to survive as they make a perfect "snack" for both adult and juvenile guppies.

RCS (Red Cherry Shrimp) don't require java moss, but moss is a favorite item in shrimp tanks because lots of biofilm & algae (which makes up the primary diet of dwarf shrimp like RCS) grows on it and the moss also provides cover for the shrimp, especially the shrimp babies. In an aquarium, RCS will eat mostly the natural biofilm & algae that grows on the surface of everything (plants, rocks, the substrate, the sides of the glass etc.) but are also scavengers. I have kept various shrimp species for years, including RCS, and I have seen them eat virtually everything I have put in my tank: flake fish food, veggie tabs, shrimp pellets, both live & frozen bloodworms, 100% spirulina algae powder/flake, even blanched fresh veggies like zucchini, green beans, spinach, etc. While they do eat some algae, relying on RCS to solve an algae problem in a tank is probably a wasted effort; even a 10 gallon tank would probably take 200+ RCS in order to make a significant dent in an algae problem, and that is if it happens to be a type of algae RCS eat (which is not all).

Healthy shrimp, especially in a tank free from predators, will spend all day constantly moving throughout the tank, picking away at the surface. They will spend at least as much time on the substrate as they will on anything else. If they are in a tank with predators and don't feel safe, then they will stick to the areas of the most cover (dense plants, under rock outcroppings, etc.) and you will see them only rarely.

The only difference the color of the sand/substrate makes is that on very light colored substrates, their color seems to "fade out" a little. Whereas on very dark substrates, the red color is much more pronounced. This is likely an evolutionary holdover--against a light background, a light-colored shrimp is harder for a predator to spot, and against a dark background, a dark-colored shrimp is harder for a predator to spot. For this reason, most people I know who specialize in shrimp keeping almost always use tanks lined with black sand or black gravel.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your RCS. If you really like them, perhaps you will be "converted" and like many of us, establish a shrimp-only tank where you can watch them have babies & watch the babies develop, etc. :)

oh right mandy, before you get some shrimp, make sure your tank is pretty established, i read 2-3 months before adding them in, i also plan on adding some shrimp around late september/early october ^_^ still deciding between cherry or amano shrimp

Then what do you feed them?

- I can't say I really target feed them. Occasionally I'll see them eating a flake, but most of the time they're picking away at stuff on the plants and ground.

They aren't? I don't have Java Moss and I can't get any more live plants... so you're saying they're not okay without it?

- I forget the technical term, but RCS are supposed to stress out if they don't have something to hold onto. That's why they have to be shipped with moss or another plant in the bag. If your tank has been set up for a while, they'll probably be fine with the silk plants. If it's a new tank, you might have to target feed them until the stuff they eat gets established.

As stated in my question, I don't want breeding. So in that case, 2 would be okay?

- Sorry, missed that part. I don't think the shrimp are particularly social animals, so you really don't need a group. I like having a breeding group so I don't have to buy more every time one dies. I'm pretty sure I lose a fair number of little shrimp to my guppies, but the population maintains a reasonably steady number.

Haha no I don't have dead plants, but this annoying grainy stuff that looks like dirt keeps showing up on my sand.. but I don't have fish so I don't know where it could have come from, that's why I guessed my bamboo plant. But no, I am not suggesting that the shrimp will eat my dead plants, lol

- What you're describing sounds like diatoms. How long has the tank been set up? Diatoms are common in new tanks and will usually burn themselves out after a little while.

- Unfortunately, I think it's very difficult to keep sand pristine. I have white sand in my guppy/cory/RCS tank and the top inch is a lot less white than the bottom. I think algae actually grows in the sand because it's got a little bit of a greenish tint to it. Still looks better than gravel IMHO.

Thanks everyone! As of now, I won't be getting any Cherry Shrimp. None of the 4 pet stores near me, (One local "mom and pop", 2 Petmarts, 1 Petco) carry these Cherry Shrimp! They don't carry any shrimp at all, actually. I visit two of these stores fairly often, so I can keep my eye out in case they ever get some in.

Oh and the stuff I was talking about wasn't Diatoms. I looked it up on Google Images and it's definitely not that. I'll go take a picture and post it here. It's really annoying because every day I siphon it up and every day it's back again!

Try Craigslist and Ebay. Only one of my LFSs carried RCS and they wanted $4 a piece! I had to drive about 45 minutes, but I got mine off Craigslist for $1 a piece plus some extras thrown in.

i dont have any petsmarts near me but the petco near me orders fish for customers, have you asked them if they can order some for you?

my 2 LFS that are not big chain stores orders fish for customers so i usually ask them if they can get me so and so and they usually do =] thats how i got my BN pleco, they usually have clowns and asked if they can get me a BN and they did ^_^ now they are frequently selling them

Try Craigslist and Ebay. Only one of my LFSs carried RCS and they wanted $4 a piece! I had to drive about 45 minutes, but I got mine off Craigslist for $1 a piece plus some extras thrown in.

Thanks but there's no way I'd get my Dad to drive more than 30 minutes for a shrimp. I doubt there's anyone in my area anyway, but I could check...

I called Petsmart and they said that they don't carry RCS. Petco may, but not on their website. I will call my LFS too.

i dont have any petsmarts near me but the petco near me orders fish for customers, have you asked them if they can order some for you?

No, I had no idea they could order for you! I will be sure to ask. Did you ask in-store or by phone?

i asked in-store, but i think it depends on the store, maybe they will or maybe they wont, but mine does

Oh ok. I'll call and ask and if they don't have them I will ask if they are ever going to get some in.
Next time I'm at the store I'll ask in person, and maybe they will order for me.

Bobs Tropical Plants

cheapest shrimp you can find online than =]

Actually it's pretty common to find RCS online for $1 each or even 75 cents each; or even cheaper than that if you go to something like Aquabid, where (for example) right now there is one auction of 60+ for $28 (so under 50 cents each), and quite a few auctions for things like 25 RCS for $20, etc.

Bob's price of $1.50 is "decent," but nowhere near the cheapest you can find online.

Thanks guys, but I don't like buying fish online. Plus, I'm only looking for 2 RCS, not 60 or 25! I haven't got around to calling Petco yet, but will soon and when I get an answer I'll update my reply.

Try ghost shrimp instead maybe? They are a ton cheaper and generally more locally available.

Back
Top Bottom