question about sand.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What about waste and left over food. And can you use the reef sand in freshwater tanks? And thanks to whoever posted the video

well, if you feed correctly, there shouldnt be leftover food. The waste can be vac'd off the surface pretty easily without disturbing the sand too much...

I am sure you could... I would just make sure the specific kind you look at is aquarium safe before dumping it in.

The reef sand I recommended doesn't alter any chemistry the way a true marine sand will. A true marine sand is calcium based and will increase your pH/KH. I use it in both fresh and salt.

Do you have any fish in there yet? If not then now is the time. It might throw off your cycle a little, but it is better to do it now if you can.

also is a 110 aquaclear way to much power for a 20g high tank ? i wanted to do brackish do u think it will make it hard for the fish to live in it ? or will it be to much water movement ty for your time

Ehh I don't thing it is I have a marineland penguin 200 on my 20 high. And with your to can control the flow. As for the second part of your question I don't know sorry. I'm not an expert yet lol.

Once the sand is placed, tank filled with water, and water is clear: How would you level the sand to the the wanted leveling, without clouding the water really bad?

If you washed the sand out good there shouldn't be much clouding. If you didn't I believe you'll have to bit the bullet a little. Don't quote me on that though.

Yeah if you rinse it, it won't cloud... at least not pool sand. Finer sands will, but they eventually settle. I can reach in and grab a hand full of pool filter sand, lift it up to the top of the tank, let go, and it instantly sinks right back down. I'm sure the stuff fishguy is recommending does the same.

Also to add I would either turn your filter off while changing or I would put foam around your filter intake, HOB filters don't do to well when sand gets into the gears.

Back
Top Bottom