quick question....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Acer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
quick question, i recently bought a 55 gal, i was wondering, when setting up my tank to cycle would it be advisable or will it even help speed up the cycling process any if i were to put in a filter " borrowed " from a friend who has a healthy established tank?? just a thought... any info would be appreciated.. thanks

By all means use a seeded filter. It will make your cycle much quicker and much easier.

Just run your filter and his filter for a month or so.

You should have little or no trouble.

Just make sure that his tank does not have diseases in it. I don't know if I would "borrow" his filter, beacuse then he doesn't have the filter on his tank that has the beneficial bacteria. Sure his tank has the bacterial growth on the glass, gravel, and decor, but removing the filter is a lot of bacteria. I'd just run yours on his tank for a few weeks.

I was assuming he had more than one filter, definitely don't take his only filter. If running yours on his tank is not practical, ask for half his media. It will not really effect him at all and it will give you a nice jump start.

If its HOB you can just take his old cartridge when he changes it. I think...

thats what i was thinking of doing.. maybe 1'll put mine in his.. he runs 2 just like 1 want to do.. he has 4 slots maybe ill put both? and let water stand for about 2-3 weeks try to naturally let the ammonia dissipate??

I have used this method on several occasions with great success every time. The last time I did it I cycled a 55 gallon in 3 days. There are a few ways you can do this: you can borrow his filter (since he has more than 1 his tank will be fine) and run both your new filter and his old filter on your tank for a couple weeks, or run your filter on his tank for a couple weeks, or use as much of his filter media as you can get in your filter.

The important thing to remember is that the bacteria in the filter needs an ammonia source or it will die. That's good news for you, meaning that it's best to add fish immediately when you add the established filter or media to your tank. Stock lightly when you do this, and then when you add more fish do it slowly. Just make sure you dechlorinate the water before adding the filter or fish, and be sure that the temp has stabilized and is where you want it. Test your water every day until the tank cycles. I had a small nitrite spike on the 2nd day, and easily kept it under control with a water change.

I agree with Severum Mama.

For the fastest results, you either have to take one of his filters and run your new one and his simultaneously for several weeks, ie more than two, not likely more than 6 weeks.

Or pack your new filter with established bio media from his filter. If he has some filter media that is at least 6 weeks old, put it in your filter. Don't take more than half his biomedia at once. Depending on the bioload you start out with, 25% of his biomedia would really keep the toxins down if he won't part with half.

BTW, when I did this, I never saw ammonia but had 5 days or so of 0.5 ppm nitrite. Then done. Many others have seen enough biomedia transfered to prevent ammonia but not nitrite too. A few get ammonia but no nitrite. fewer still get some of both or none of both. So it does warrant monitoring. either way you need fish in there to keep the biofilter alive and growing.

If you decide to let your water just sit without a filter, even with no fish, I might recommend putting in an air stone or something, to keep it somewhat oxygenated, to help any bacteria that might be in there. Not sure if it makes a lot of difference, but I feel it would be better than letting the water go completely stagnant. I'd also do a small water change as well after 2 or 3 weeks without a filter.

yah i already have it full of water and washed pfs, all the sand is settled and im waiting another day or 2 before i go pick up my filter from my friend's house.. i also bought a bag of bio-spira.. i'll probably add the filter and maybe 2-4 feeder guppy's to help make ammonia for the bacteria to feed off of and wait about 2-4 days before adding the bio-spira.. sound like a good plan>?

You should add the bio spira the same time you add the fish. Do you plan on keeping the feeder guppies as the stock of the tank? If not, don't buy them. If you are using a seeded filter plus Bio-Spira, go ahead and add fish to the tank that you intend to stock. Basically put the filter on the tank, add the bio-spira to the filter. Acclimate the fish. Do this all at the same time.

oh ok.. i thikn the first resident will be my fire dward gourami.. poor thing is getting harrassed but my powder blue dwarf constantly.. next will be my new eel..

Back
Top Bottom