ready to throw in the towel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bambithegirl

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi All,

Not very positive about the cycling process anymore. On day 25 now, Still adding ammonia everyday.

Plants are looking a bit worse for wear and there is this fine clay coloured dust in the tank which I assume comes off the ceramic noodles.

Can I take the filter out and rinse? This will probably not be good for the bacteria I have built up.

My ammonia test kit has now run out which means buying a new one, and still no fish.

Seems like it will never happen?

:-(
Sorry it's been tough. And test kits are expensive over here, I know.
You are in the nitrite spike stage, am I right?
My nitrite spike lasted a bit more than three weeks. You are still well within a normal time for the cycle to happen.

Not sure about clay dust...that could be from ceramic media, if you didn't rinse it before putting it in?

Is there any chance you could get filter squeezings from an established tank? Maybe a nearby petshop?

If you are in nitrite spike stage, the end is in sight.

Where are you, by the way?
If you are near me I could possibly give you some live filter media?
I'm not sure how much help that will be, as I've just rinsed mine but every little bit may help?

Yes masha, definitely in the nitrite spike stage, its sky high!
I rinsed the ceramics well before adding but there is some of the powder in the bottom of the filter as well.

I want to get rid of it before I get fish so I think I will try and rinse some of it in some tank water.

Filter wool looking pretty gross, but the aquaclear filter is now definitely not an option.

Thanks for the encouragement. Will persevere :)

Back
Top Bottom