Restoring tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chiefs101

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had my 29 gallon tank for about 1 year now and through all of my procrasination it has become very dirty and disgusting. The bottom of the tank is filled with waste and algae has grown on all of my ornaments. I have decided to restore my tank but do not no how to do so. I also have 1 tiger barb, 1 zebra danio, and 1 chinese algae eater. Any advice would be appreciated.

I would start by doing daily water changes. Clean the gravel during these changes but don't touch the decor yet. After afout 4 or 5 days of water changes wait a week. Then take out the decor and clean it.

When was the last time you have replaced the filter cartridge?

Don't do too much at once as it will send the fish into shock.

I changed my filter about a month ago and that is what i am getting today. How exactly do you clean the gravel.

Water changes seem to be a good place to start. I'd be curious to know what the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels are.

With a little extra light you may have a great place for some real plants! Before scrubbing everything shinney clean see if you can get your hands on a copy of the Dr's Foster & Smith catalog from last month. They had an interesting article on doing almost exactly what you have described. They take this green mess and use live plants to turn it into a pretty nice planted tank... If you are interested in such a thing.

I had thought about that once and got a few but my fish actually ate them until they were completely gone. At that time i did have more fish though. Will this still be a problem??

Actually, the fish you have listed should like a planted tank. I don't believe any one of them are known as plant eaters. It's worth doing some research, Lonewolfblue seems to be the plant guy here, maybe get with him and see what ideas he has for plant suggestions in this case.

I assume you have one tube over the tank. Probably 20 watts. You will only be able to grow low light plants. If you go that route you will need to change the bulb as it is past its useful life.

I personally would do small water changes everyday for a week or more and slowly clean your decorations as you go. You can gravel vac a different section everyday as you are changing water. With a little time and car you can have it back in shape in a few weeks. You have a very low fish load so the PWCs should get the parameters back in line fairly quickly.

Do you have a test kit? What are the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings? With those few fish and the algae growing your water may be in much better shape than you think it is.

I dont have a test kit. Is that something that i should have? If so what kind and where can i get that thank you all you have been a great help.

Will this tell me how to use it because quite frankly i have no idea. I am starting to notice that there is a lot more to having an aquarium than just feeding your fish. Its fun though

The API test kit (Aquarium Pharmisuticals) Master test kit is sold at most chain stores. I would think you would have a petsmart around, go to their website and print the page with its price out and take it with you to the store. They will price match that.

Its VERY easy to use. The ammount of drops of liquid to use are on the bottles and it comes with vials that are premarked to the appropriate fill level. Its so simple even a caveman could do it :)

Back
Top Bottom