Rummynose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flossie

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys I just added some rummynose to my cycled tank today. I have a little bit of salt in all my tanks will this be ok or should I do a PWC tomorrow? I did not realize that they are a little fragile. I read it could take 2 weeks are longer for them to settle in. I'm worried about a PWC bc my water has ammo in it although I do use a ammonia neutralizer. Please no one freak me out I stress something terrible over new fish :(( I'm also worried about the change in water temp of a PWC. I covered the tank with a blanket to make them feel
More safe? Any tips on keeping stress down for them ???

Flossie said:
Hey guys I just added some rummynose to my cycled tank today. I have a little bit of salt in all my tanks will this be ok or should I do a PWC tomorrow? I did not realize that they are a little fragile. I read it could take 2 weeks are longer for them to settle in.

I'm worried about a PWC bc my water has ammo in it although I do use a ammonia neutralizer.

Please no one freak me out bc I stress something terrible over new fish :((

I'm also worried about the change in water temp of a PWC.

I covered the tank with a blanket to make them feel
More safe? Any tips on keeping stress down for them ???

I really need some good advice on these guys I'm very upset that they are sensitive. I wish I hadnt of gotten them now :(

what's the best way to feed and do PWC? I added them with one Cory and I know cories r schooling fish but they only had the one like I got besides I do not want to overload my biological filter. I got 7 rummynose the guy told me that would be fine and they know Their stuff at this LFS.

My tank is a 10g which I did a fishless cycle! Someone please give me hope and good news!! GBRs are my fav fish and I will not but them bc they are sensitive! Ugh I'm kinda upset now :( he told me thy were a little sensitive but while he was netting.. I freaked out a little but he told me those had been there a while and should be ok

Ammo looks like 0 stupid card !
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 5
Aqua tech 5-15 filter. Have an upgrade but don't know how to get it to work with th hood :(

I really need some good advice on these guys I'm very upset that they are sensitive. I wish I hadnt of gotten them now :(

what's the best way to feed and do PWC? I added them with one Cory and I know cories r schooling fish but they only had the one like I got besides I do not want to overload my biological filter. I got 7 rummynose the guy told me that would be fine and they know Their stuff at this LFS.

My tank is a 10g which I did a fishless cycle! Someone please give me hope and good news!! GBRs are my fav fish and I will not but them bc they are sensitive! Ugh I'm kinda upset now :( he told me thy were a little sensitive but while he was netting.. I freaked out a little but he told me those had been there a while and should be ok

Nitrites 0
Nitrates 5
Aqua tech 5-15 filter. Have an upgrade but don't know how to get it to work with th hood :(

Hey! firstly dont worry too much! stay cool! all tetra to my understanding are abit fragile and sensitive to begin with! all we can do as keepers are provide high quality water, acclimate them properly and feeding them! haha how did u acclimate your tetra?

its best to remove the salt because u have a cory catfish and they dont do well with salt! but u dont have to remove all the salt with one PWC! try doin it over a course of 2/3 PWC. U can use a thermometer or even by feel (i do it by feel ahaha) to keep the water temp around the same (doesnt have to be exact). more importantly if the ph from ur water is different to ur tank. u want to do smaller PWC!

Nitrites 0
Nitrates 5

Do small PWC over the course of a week, remove the salt, and you should be good. Unfortunatley, there may be some rummynose deaths over the course of the week. It's best to add them when your tank has been cycled and then its been running for another month, that way you know it is fully mature and very stable. Adding them to a tank just cycled is...well, kinda risky IMO.

Good luck! Hope your fish are okay. What kinda cory did you get? Some of them get very big for ten gallons...

bruinsbro1997 said:
Do small PWC over the course of a week, remove the salt, and you should be good. Unfortunatley, there may be some rummynose deaths over the course of the week. It's best to add them when your tank has been cycled and then its been running for another month, that way you know it is fully mature and very stable. Adding them to a tank just cycled is...well, kinda risky IMO.

Good luck! Hope your fish are okay. What kinda cory did you get? Some of them get very big for ten gallons...

I didn't know :(

Now I'm going to worry the whole time I have these fish :(

Everything made it through the night so that's exciting I just turned on the light for the first time and their
Faces were Really red which now they faded bc the light freaked them out. With it be ok to do PWC with ammo in my water or is that really going to hurt my biological filter? I thought about filling up a five g bucket and letting it sit and use it for PWC! With a heater in it? So the water oaths same temp?

Oh and I drip acclimated for about an hour

As long as your tank is cycled and you are using a water conditioner that neutralizes the ammonia, there is no problem doing pwc's. If there's one thing fish enjoy...it's fresh clean water. Never be afraid to do water changes :)

eco23 said:
As long as your tank is cycled and you are using a water conditioner that neutralizes the ammonia, there is no problem doing pwc's. If there's one thing fish enjoy...it's fresh clean water. Never be afraid to do water changes :)

How often should I do PWC with these guys? Are they so touchy once they've settled in ? I really wish I had gotten something else now for sure :(

I think you're worrying too much :)

I'd do 20-25% pwcs for the next few days to remove the salt content, then just keep an eye on your levels. As long as everything stays stable (0 ammo, 0 no2), just stick to your normal weekly pwc routine. I normally do 2 25% pwc's weekly...but that's just because I'm OCD about my tanks. Plus, I have a Python and pwc's and gravel vacuuming is kinda fun :)

eco23 said:
I think you're worrying too much :)

I'd do 20-25% pwcs for the next few days to remove the salt content, then just keep an eye on your levels. As long as everything stays stable (0 ammo, 0 no2), just stick to your normal weekly pwc routine. I normally do 2 25% pwc's weekly...but that's just because I'm OCD about my tanks. Plus, I have a Python and pwc's and gravel vacuuming is kinda fun :)

Lol I definitely do worry to much!!! That's why I should have gotten different fish!! Lol lol. Ok so I will do my best to give these guys a happy life! Btw I only use like a teaspoon or so of rocks salt in my ten gallons. I don't even really put as much as the bag says.

I use a cup and bucket for my 10gs to do PWC do u think that is stressful? And thank u for your help :)

My fish don't get stressed at all. In fact I worry more about them getting sucked up because they're very interested in the gravel vac and they play in the new water as it's going in. It might take a couple pwc's for them to get used to it...but they'll love and appreciate the fresh water. There's really no such thing as too many pwc's as long as you are using a dechlorinator and matching temperatures as close as possible (as long as it feels similar to the touch it's fine) :).

eco23 said:
My fish don't get stressed at all. In fact I worry more about them getting sucked up because they're very interested in the gravel vac and they play in the new water as it's going in. It might take a couple pwc's for them to get used to it...but they'll love and appreciate the fresh water. There's really no such thing as too many pwc's as long as you are using a dechlorinator and matching temperatures as close as possible (as long as it feels similar to the touch it's fine) :).

Lately the water has been 80 degrees out of the tap. It seemed a little cooler today. I normally poor the fresh dechlorinated water through the filter. I have a heater that is supposed to keep the temp at 78 but I'm not sure if its working and whenever the lights are in the temp goes up to 80 ... Would that be considered stressful? 2 degrees ? Looks like it's between 76/78 in the rummy nose tank. Should I add a second heater ?

Flossie said:
Lately the water has been 80 degrees out of the tap. It seemed a little cooler today. I normally poor the fresh dechlorinated water through the filter. I have a heater that is supposed to keep the temp at 78 but I'm not sure if its working and whenever the lights are in the temp goes up to 80 ... Would that be considered stressful? 2 degrees ? Looks like it's between 76/78 in the rummy nose tank. Should I add a second heater ?

Just adjust the temperature coming from the faucet to match the tank, dechlorinate it and add it right in. If it feels similar to your hand it's fine. There's no reason to leave the water sitting out. If you have chloramines in your water instead of chlorine (which you probably do) leaving it sitting out does nothing.

I also wouldn't pour fresh water through your filter. That is where most of your beneficial bacteria is located, and if the water is not efficiently conditioned it can kill the bacteria.

Stop worrying :). Everything is fine and seems set up properly. A couple degrees won't hurt.

No problem. :). Just try to enjoy having them and don't stress out.

Fish keeping isn't nearly as complicated as people make it out to be once the tank is established. All you've got to do is feed em, keep an eye on their water parameters and give them fresh water and a gravel vacuuming every week. You're doing great.

Last edited:
So all seven rum us are still with me so hopefully I'll make it with them all :) been doing the recommended 25% PWC daily to remove salt... They are all Starting to wonder around a bit more so I guess they are settling a bit :D

Yay :) thank everyone for the help! I'm a huge stresser whenever I get new fish. I've had some bad experiences... Ehhh lol

Back
Top Bottom