Several questions pahleeze.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

@rtemis

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,

Still doing a fishless cycle and here are my recent levels:

NH3/NH4=~2
NO2=2
NO3=80
low pH=7.6
high pH=7.8

I have several questions regarding my cycle. First, for the last two days the nitrites and nitrates have remained the same. I am now adding ammonia to maintain a 2ppm reading two times a day. I worry about loosing my bacteria if ammonia levels drops to 0ppm. Do I keep adding ammonia until my nitrites drop?

Second question. What is my true pH? Which number do I use?

Third. I bought a piece of Malaysian drift wood. Will it lower my pH drastically? Oh, I have boiled it and will soak it for a couple of days.

Thanks..

@rt

Google Docs - Aquarium Cycling

You keep adding Ammonia until the day before you add fish. The day you add your fish do a large water change (~90%) first to get the Nitrates levels down.

Wait until your cycle is over to measure the pH, until then you won't get a consistant pH measurement. Either way your pH will be perfectly fine for fish.

I haven't found that there's a significant change in pH with the Malaysian driftwood when sufficiently prepared. It will depend in part on how large a peice you have in comparison with the size of the aquarium as to how much affect it can have. If you want to check ahead of time, fill up a 5 gallon bucket and test the water for pH after 24hrs. Add the driftwood and test again in a week. Unless your aquarium is smaller than the bucket, this is rough estimate of te maximum change you'll see and the affect will lessen over time.

Back
Top Bottom