Should I Be Seeing... ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trickerie

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey all,

I've had my active sponge filter from angelsplus in my tank for 2 days now. I cut up and stuffed half of it in my HoB filter, and hung the remaining block in the tank using the magnet. I added some ammonia, up to 3ppm and they have taken 2 days to process it to 0. However, I'm still seeing no nitrates. I have plenty of nitrites (dark purple on the API master kit). Is this normal? I thought once you added the active filter, both kinds of bacteria would be present right away. Maybe I'm mistaken? My PH is steady at 7.5 like normal. If I should be seeing nitrates already, what could be the problem???

PS. I added all the water that was in the bag of the sponge, per angelsplus instructions.

I'm having the same problem! I bought 2 active filters and I'm showing ammonia but no Trites or trates?!?!

Sometimes they can take up to week to seed your tank with good bacteria- dont worry! I would drop your amm down to 2ppm (and no higher) for the next couple of days until you see everything being processed. Let us know how things go! :)

Should I crank my heater back up to 85? I lowered it thinking I was going to get ready for some fish :(

Up to you- warmer water is more ideal for bacterial growth but ive always cycled without the benefit of heaters so it will work either way. :)

And one last question.... Should I bring down the nitrites with a water change? They are reading 5ppm or higher on the api kit. Can this stall the cycle?

Ask away! A water change isnt necessary unless your nitrites have been this high for awhile but it wont hurt anything if you want to do one. :)

hang in there guys!! give it a week and let's see where you are. I bet you will see some big changes by then, but you have to give it time to do its thing. my filter made a huge difference, but I don't think I saw the change in two days ...

Every filter is different depending on how long it was in the tank before you got it. Nitrites are a good thing. :) For the nitrate test, it can be finicky. Shake both bottles and bang them a few times on a hard surface while shaking. Shake and bang bottle #2 for a full 30 seconds, then shake the tube vigorously for a full 60 seconds and wait 5 minutes for the results. If you don't do it this way it can cause false readings (bottle #2 has reagent powder that can get clumped and cause false readings).

5 going on 6 days now and still no movement in nitrates :confused: I've been dosing very low amounts of ammonia (1-2ppm) since I already have a ton of nitrites. Do I need to just keep waiting it out and keep doing what im doing?

Is your ammonia zeroing out every day? It may be time to do a water change to bring your nitrites down to a readable level (2ppm or less) when you have a chance (you dont have to do this today). Then just continue with the low dose of amm until your nitrite>nitrate bacteria catch up. Once they catch up, we can gradually increase the amm a bit over a few days to allow the bb to adjust upwards. :)

The ammonia is taking a bit over a day, and never goes below 0.25ppm. I'm guessing thats because of my ph/temp combo (7.5/85f). The thing is, my tap water has a bit of nitrate in it, and I've yet to see it increase at all from that point. It reads between 0-5ppm nitrate every single time I test, no matter how hard I bang those bottles! I will probably give it another day or two before I do a water change, since I just replenished and dosed ammonia today.

Well, ammonia zeroed out again (from 3-4ppm, in a day), and still no change in the nitrates, nitrites still very high (I know thats redundant, but I test both to make sure both tests match up logically)

Guess ill be doing a large water change tomorrow to bring down nitrites to a readable level :(

Back
Top Bottom