So which fish should i get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
siva said:
No tetras of any kind should be kept in a 5 gal tank.

I must disagree...

http://aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php?...AqSpeciesWindowSize=short&AqSearchMode=simple

5 Glowlight Tetras will reach an inch apiece, maintaining the rule of thumb to one inch of fish per gallon. While I do realize that this is not the most accurate rule to abide by, tetras have quite a low bio load, and as you can see, this site even confirms that a five gallon filter is good enough for the tank and five Glowlights.

Just be careful about making broad statements such as that. Stating your opinion is fine, but please back it up with the reasons why, your experience, and what you recommend instead. These are the things that were key for my own learning when I just started and this site is indeed about advice.

It's not a bioload issue. Tetras are generally pretty active swimmers and they need a longer tank than a 5g, particularly if it's a 5g hex.

AqAdvisor is pretty suspect when it comes to bioload calculations. I've never seen any quantified bioload metrics and you can't have good math without good measurements.

I must disagree...

AqAdvisor - Tetra

5 Glowlight Tetras will reach an inch apiece, maintaining the rule of thumb to one inch of fish per gallon. While I do realize that this is not the most accurate rule to abide by, tetras have quite a low bio load, and as you can see, this site even confirms that a five gallon filter is good enough for the tank and five Glowlights.

Just be careful about making broad statements such as that. Stating your opinion is fine, but please back it up with the reasons why, your experience, and what you recommend instead. These are the things that were key for my own learning when I just started and this site is indeed about advice.

I'm sorry I thought my post before that said enough. In this case I really don't feel like it's an opinion. This one is pretty cut and dry. Tetras are supposed to be kept in groups too large for a 5 gal tank and they are much too active for a tank that small and 5" of fish is way too much for a 5 gal tank. aqadvisor and the inch per gallon rule are both considered completely innacurate. Especially with small tanks. This forum however is a great tool. If you would like you can always ask folks on here if your stock list is appropriate for your tank and you'll get great feedback. In this situation I would engourage you to get your fish a 10 gal tank that is appropriate for them or take the tetras back.

siva said:
I'm sorry I thought my post before that said enough. In this case I really don't feel like it's an opinion. This one is pretty cut and dry. Tetras are supposed to be kept in groups too large for a 5 gal tank and they are much too active for a tank that small and 5" of fish is way too much for a 5 gal tank. aqadvisor and the inch per gallon rule are both considered completely innacurate. Especially with small tanks. This forum however is a great tool. If you would like you can always ask folks on here if your stock list is appropriate for your tank and you'll get great feedback. In this situation I would engourage you to get your fish a 10 gal tank that is appropriate for them or take the tetras back.

Thank you siva! This is much more helpful.

And I must agree, the more swimming room, the better for your fish. Just because you can fully stock a tank doesn't mean that's ideal for them.

Back
Top Bottom