Some chemistry to bear in mind when cycling.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Awesome, then we can give accurate advice.

I have some conjectures to test from the outset....

Increased temp ---> Faster cycle (bacteria reproduce quicker at warmer temps)

Increased agitation ---> Faster cycle (the nitrogen cycle consumes oxygen)

higher KH ( therefore pH) ---> Faster cycle (The nitrogen cycle produces acid and a pH crash will kill bacteria start the cycle again) ie in soft water a cycle requires pws, it might be acicity that is the problem in the "stuck cycles" we see on the boards.

The rest would be interesting to see.

+1 on all of mattrox's points.

The additives wil have the added variable of shelf life, so without getting crazy I would just use the newest one you could find to make sure that there are live bacteria in the bottle (a bottle with dead bacteria will give a false negative with respect to your control)

I have expreience with Nutrafin cycle and biozyme, biozyme is supposed to have an unlimited shelf life and I would be really interested in seeing if there is a significant difference.

An update. I got my ammonium today. My 8g QT is pretty much ready for cycling. I'm going to play around a bit practicing dosing the tank properly. When I'm happy my numbers all add up I'll begin cycling and keep logs of test results and actions taken.

I hope to be up and running tomorrow or tuesday at the latest. (I think I have tuesday off, if so I'll try and get as much done as I can.)

I'm excited to see this, too. I haven't had an aquarium (a proper one, at least) to cycle in years. I just started mine yesterday, but I took the standard approach and dosed ~4ppm of ammonia and am going to let it go from there...it's worked for me in the past (minus a stalled cycle on one tank) so I'm gonna stick with it. I'd like to see how your method works!

*Btw, where can I find something like a medical syringe? My mom works at a medical group so a couple years back she just got me one of those and dosing was so simple (once I found the perfect measurements for specific ppm). I am not going to be seeing her anytime within the next two weeks, so I'd like to buy one to make dosing easier, because I think I may have dosed a wee bit over 4ppm because I am using kitchen measuring spoons.

Back
Top Bottom