Starting my 10g. MTS kicking in...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Squall

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello AA. I am planning to start my 2nd tank in over 2 months and I am really exited about it. I have a 60 gallon tank with a few SA cichlids which completed cycling a few weeks back. I am planning to get a 10 gal tank now and put some nano fishes in there. And I have a few questions that I hope you can help me out for this tank to be successful :fish2:

- I am planning to cycle using seeded media. Can I buy my filter media ahead of time and put it in my 60 to seed? I don't wan't to use any of my media in my 60's filters, I am afraid I might cause some mini cycle in it and it is pretty much stocked now. I still can wait if it will take time to seed. I have AC70 and Penguin 350 in my 60 btw.
- How long do you think I should keep the new media in the 60 to seed? I am planning to get AC30 filter for the 10 gal.
- Assuming I have seeded the new media, how long before I could add new fish in the new tank?
- I am planning to put neon tetras in there. How many neon tetras and what other fish can I put in there?

All your advice will be appreciated (y). Thanks in advance!

Squall said:
Hello AA. I am planning to start my 2nd tank in over 2 months and I am really exited about it. I have a 60 gallon tank with a few SA cichlids which completed cycling a few weeks back. I am planning to get a 10 gal tank now and put some nano fishes in there. And I have a few questions that I hope you can help me out for this tank to be successful :fish2:

- I am planning to cycle using seeded media. Can I buy my filter media ahead of time and put it in my 60 to seed? I don't wan't to use any of my media in my 60's filters, I am afraid I might cause some mini cycle in it and it is pretty much stocked now. I still can wait if it will take time to seed. I have AC70 and Penguin 350 in my 60 btw.
- How long do you think I should keep the new media in the 60 to seed? I am planning to get AC30 filter for the 10 gal.
- Assuming I have seeded the new media, how long before I could add new fish in the new tank?
- I am planning to put neon tetras in there. How many neon tetras and what other fish can I put in there?

All your advice will be appreciated (y). Thanks in advance!

Gravel is a good way to seed also or an ornament. I would keep the filter on the 60 for a least a couple weeks. Also putting the new media in old filter w old media would be effective. Make sure u fill new tank a day or two before adding seeded media or chlorine still in water may harm the bb. When I seed I normal will fill tank treat w prime and wait a couple days before adding media. Good luck

Gravel is a good way to seed also or an ornament. I would keep the filter on the 60 for a least a couple weeks. Also putting the new media in old filter w old media would be effective. Make sure u fill new tank a day or two before adding seeded media or chlorine still in water may harm the bb. When I seed I normal will fill tank treat w prime and wait a couple days before adding media. Good luck

Thanks joejeff. By the way, which media is best to seed, the foam media or the biological media?

Also I use Prime for conditioning, so I will do add water to tank a day or 2 before adding the media. When can I add the fishes after seeding?

Squall said:
Thanks joejeff. By the way, which media is best to seed, the foam media or the biological media?

Also I use Prime for conditioning, so I will do add water to tank a day or 2 before adding the media. When can I add the fishes after seeding?

I add a, 1 fish that same day to be sure that the bb are being maintained. And as to what to seed... I say anything possible. Then about a week later I add a couple more and add something else seeded, ie an ornament or rock that has been in original tank for a while. That item I leave there for like a month then return to its normal home. I did that on my last tank and started stocking a few week until I was stocked and only had one ammonia spike. And it was small.

I add a, 1 fish that same day to be sure that the bb are being maintained. And as to what to seed... I say anything possible. Then about a week later I add a couple more and add something else seeded, ie an ornament or rock that has been in original tank for a while. That item I leave there for like a month then return to its normal home. I did that on my last tank and started stocking a few week until I was stocked and only had one ammonia spike. And it was small.

I am planning to add neon tetras in there? What else do you think can I add with them?

Another thing, how do I seed the media? Can I just put it somewhere in the tank? Or does it have to be in my filter?

Squall said:
Another thing, how do I seed the media? Can I just put it somewhere in the tank? Or does it have to be in my filter?

Placing it near the old media seems most logical, I.am no expert but that is what I read and what I do. Tetras are not very tough in my opinion. Platys seem to be tougher. Tetras are fine but i would wait till tank is established...

Placing it near the old media seems most logical, I.am no expert but that is what I read and what I do. Tetras are not very tough in my opinion. Platys seem to be tougher. Tetras are fine but i would wait till tank is established...

How many platys can i put in there? Would platys and neons go together? What bottom feeder would go with them?

Yes they do. I would get either 2 cory cats or 2 upside-down catfish. They both stay relatively small. I say two bc both species do.better w a companion. I would also have at get one otocinclus to eat algae as they stay small and do wrk.

joejeff said:
Yes they do. I would get either 2 cory cats or 2 upside-down catfish. They both stay relatively small. I say two bc both species do.better w a companion. I would also have at get one otocinclus to eat algae as they stay small and do wrk.

I would do three Platys four Tetras. Two cats. One oto. To start. Then after a while if it looks understocked and all is well consider more. But I think you will be happy w that setup.

Sounds good to me. I'm gonna buy the filter today and start seeding right away.

Squall said:
Sounds good to me. I'm gonna buy the filter today and start seeding right away.

I recommend getting filter for.tank larger than ur own. If it says for up to ten gallons go bigger. I would get a marineland penguin 100. It says its for up to 20 gallons. But thats what I would run on a ten gallon. It's about $25 usually and I have been using them for yrs. Def a good product.

I am planning to get the Aquaclear 30. I like it because of its media flexibility.

Also, I think I like the platy/neon tetra combo. Which fishes should I put in first?

Squall said:
I am planning to get the Aquaclear 30. I like it because of its media flexibility.

Also, I think I like the platy/neon tetra combo. Which fishes should I put in first?

Plats then cats then Tetras

IMO some kinds of tetra can be very hardy and suitable for new tanks. In particular, red eye and black widow. Neons are not quiet as hardy. Cardinals should only be added to a well establish tank

IMO some kinds of tetra can be very hardy and suitable for new tanks. In particular, red eye and black widow. Neons are not quiet as hardy. Cardinals should only be added to a well establish tank

I'm looking at the red eye and the black widow now. I kinda like the red eye but not the black widow. How many red eyes can I have in the 10? What other tetras would be good for the 10, that would work with platys?

I have 5 red eyes with 2 platy at the moment in a 17g and they get along fine. They are very active fish that might eventually outgrow a smaller tank. I am intending to rehome them in a few months. Platys are the stars of the show, very active, very colourful and very available :)

Plats are the main attraction in my 29. They don't hide much.

A little late to the thread, but for seeding I find that in a good HOB filter like a penguin there's room for a second filter to lay in against the old one, for quick, certain seeding. By quick, I'd still say a couple weeks. I actually keep an extra filter media in the filter tank all the time, ready for a quarantine tank.

Back
Top Bottom