Stocking 135L (i think thats about 36 us gallons)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crippsy999

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hey all! got my new tank cycling at the moment & wanted to know what i should stock it with?? was thinking maybe:

4 or so silver sharks
1 Angel fish
4 clown loach
Siamese fighter
and a small school of tetra's

what do you think will it work?? overstocked? all advise would b appreciated as am bit of a noob! thanks!:fish2:

I am just looking at stocking my 36 gal to :)
I also looked at clown loaches but they do get to be a little less then a foot long.
I think they are recommended more for the 100gal range.

I'm sure some other very helpful people can help you out with the other fish. As well as give their 2 cents on the loaches.

If you like loaches, check out botia kubotai and yoyo loaches. They will school together and play together. They are really fun to watch and they only get to 3-4 inches. Im not sure but I don't think the silver sharks will work in your tank. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will reply.

Crippsy999 said:
hey all! got my new tank cycling at the moment & wanted to know what i should stock it with?? was thinking maybe:

4 or so silver sharks
1 Angel fish
4 clown loach
Siamese fighter
and a small school of tetra's

what do you think will it work?? overstocked? all advise would b appreciated as am bit of a noob! thanks!:fish2:

Now when you say silver shark do you mean Bala sharks? They need schools of 6+ and a 125g tank so they aren't suitable for your tank size.
1 angel fish will be fine but I'd suggest choosing between the Betta and angel.
As said above there are loaches more suited to your tank size. Clown loaches get far too large for a 36g.
What kind of tetra where you thinking? You will want to avoild the nippy tetras like serpaes if you want an angel or betta. They all need 6+ of their own kind.
What other fish are you interested in?

hey, yer i did mean bala sharks, ahh glad i asked sumone with a bit of knowledge! and as 4 the clown loaches :( i really like these! oh well if i cant have them i cant have them, what about Zebra Loach (Botia Striata). mumma if this was your tank what would you stock it with?

Crippsy999 said:
hey, yer i did mean bala sharks, ahh glad i asked sumone with a bit of knowledge! and as 4 the clown loaches :( i really like these! oh well if i cant have them i cant have them, what about Zebra Loach (Botia Striata). mumma if this was your tank what would you stock it with?

What are the tanks dimensions? The zebra loach could work. Kuhli Loaches would work.
So want about a school of suitable loaches. An angel. And a a large school of tetras (like rummies, lemons or glow lights?) or two smaller schools? You could do a bristlenose pleco.

tank dimensions are 70cm long, 55 cm high, & 40 cm deep so its quite a high tank rather than long.ok zebra's im sold on! how many do you think? angel is a deffo, and i would quite like another maybe 2 colourfull fish in there, what would you recommend? maybe with a smaller school of tetra??

Crippsy999 said:
tank dimensions are 70cm long, 55 cm high, & 40 cm deep so its quite a high tank rather than long.ok zebra's im sold on! how many do you think? angel is a deffo, and i would quite like another maybe 2 colourfull fish in there, what would you recommend? maybe with a smaller school of tetra??

Probably pushing it with the zebras and some else will probably disagree with me but IMO you could have 3. You don't want anything small enough that the angel will eat them so that rules out tetras like neons. How about you do some searching and see what kinds of schooling fish you like then come back and we can help you decide?

ok so heres some idea's for stocking

3 zebra's
2 bristle nose plec's
1 angel fish
school of maybe 5/6 Congo Tetra
1 maybe 2 if i can get away with it Yellow Honey Gourami

any better?? im strugling here 4 ideas! :S

Crippsy999 said:
ok so heres some idea's for stocking

3 zebra's
2 bristle nose plec's
1 angel fish
school of maybe 5/6 Congo Tetra
1 maybe 2 if i can get away with it Yellow Honey Gourami

any better?? im strugling here 4 ideas! :S

I'm not 100% on the congos but I wouldn't put them in a 36g. IMO they'd need something more like a 40-55g long tank. Your tank is high and not very long.
If you get a BNP I'd only get one because as I said your tank is high and lacks sufficient 'floor space' for too many bottom dwellers.
So 3 zebras
An angel
Maybe a BNP
And a school of ???
Angels and gouramis are hit and miss in the same tank.
Look into cardinals, rummies, head and tail light tetras, you might be able to get away with danios. (idk I can't think of any fish today! Lol)

thanks for all your advise!! ok so i think im going to try a honey gourami with the angel ( theres plenty of hiding space in the tank so will chance it if they dont get on i will move it 2 another tank)

so then

3 zebra's
angel
gourami
school of 5-6 lepord danios or do you think i could maybe make the school larger??

would that be a stocked tank?

again thanks for all the advise!!

Crippsy999 said:
thanks for all your advise!! ok so i think im going to try a honey gourami with the angel ( theres plenty of hiding space in the tank so will chance it if they dont get on i will move it 2 another tank)

so then

3 zebra's
angel
gourami
school of 5-6 lepord danios or do you think i could maybe make the school larger??

would that be a stocked tank?

again thanks for all the advise!!

Sounds ok to me.
Have a back up plan for the angel and gourami (incase they clash) and the zebra loaches (they may need a bigger tank in the future) and 6 danios.

Back
Top Bottom