Suggestions for small, durable aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gretchen

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone,

I've been reading these forums for a while and finally have a reason to post. I've got a 3 gallon Eclipse on one of my desks in my office at work. It's been running for about a year. It's been a home to red ramshorn snails and plants, though right now I'm also temporarily keeping some cory fry in it. When I came in to work this morning, I noticed a large puddle on my desk. The puddle actually appeared to have been larger, and then dried up to a smaller puddle. I slid the tank over, cleaned up the puddle, and now there is more puddle. The water doesn't appear to be leaking out of the top/sides, so I'm assuming that there is a hairline crack at the bottom. I've got black sand substrate in there so I can't really tell.

I thought acrylic tanks were supposed to be durable. :confused:

What type of tank should I get to replace this? This is the eclipse 3 with the black top on it - I've seen a newer version with a clear top - is that one any better? Is there a different brand of acrylic tank that is more durable than the Eclipse? Should I just get glass?

By the way, I'm not planning on keeping the corys here at work, it's just holding the fry. Although, I am not opposed to having actual fish at work, but I didn't want anything larger than 3 gallons on my desk in the event of a disaster, like this! :rolleyes:

Gretchen

Welcome to AA!

Personally I'm not a fan of acrylic tanks, so perhaps you can look into getting a glass tank instead. IMO they're quite a bit more rugged and don't scratch as easily either.

I don't know the specifics of the eclipse 3, but perhaps you could look to see if you could find a replacement glass tank that the hood you have would fit.

Hi,

I don't think the lid will fit on anything, but I'm not too attached to it. It just looks tidy.

I always thought acrylic was more rugged than glass - although, I guess it depends on overall quality of aquarium, thickness of the acrylic, etc.

I was actually thinking about upgrading my 20 gallon glass to 30 gallon acrylic, because of durability, and I like the seam-less look. But if it's going to pop a leak like this..

I wish I could get a polycarbonate tank. Guaranteed to never ever leak, for life. Also, bulletproof.. :king:

Gretchen

Back
Top Bottom