tahitian moon sand - cory quest about type

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pugmom

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have searched and I have found conflicting advice....

I want to use tahitian moon sand in a new 29 gallon setup that will eventually contain corys.

There are super naturals and instant aquarium versions. I guess from when I searched there used to be a difference listed on the website as to one for soft belly fish and one to not use, but now they don't have the warning.

The instant aquarium one seems a little more available, but I want to make sure it will be ok for the corys.

Thanks a bunch! :flowers:

I think it should be ok but not sure of the differences between the two types other than one is supposed to contain bacteria (I wouldn't count on that though lol). I used the plain super naturals for a while with Corys and I didn't notice any issues. The sand isn't as fine as I had hoped and there was a glitter to it that drove me nuts after a while so I changed it out for Petco sand which is much softer and doesn't sparkle, but I think the Corys would be ok if you wanted to use it.

thanks so much for the reply. I was eyeing the petco sand as well, but couldn't find much info on it with corys. I am glad to hear you are having a good experience with it!

:thanks:

There are cheaper options (black blasting sand I've heard of people using) but the sand at PetCo/PetSmart is more convenient. lol Corys sift through the sand and they actually sift the sand through their gills (if you look close, you'll see them shooting sand out from their sides LOL it's wild) so you want something that isn't irritating. The petco sand seems to be working very well.

librarygirl said:
There are cheaper options (black blasting sand I've heard of people using) but the sand at PetCo/PetSmart is more convenient. lol Corys sift through the sand and they actually sift the sand through their gills (if you look close, you'll see them shooting sand out from their sides LOL it's wild) so you want something that isn't irritating. The petco sand seems to be working very well.

I used Black Diamond and capped it with Tahitian Moon Sand.

I used one bag of the tahitian moon instant aquarium sand along with a 50lb bag of pool filter sand when I setup my tank and I have cories in it with no problems. :) hth

I used one bag of the tahitian moon instant aquarium sand along with a 50lb bag of pool filter sand when I setup my tank and I have cories in it with no problems. :) hth

neat - do you have a pic of how they look mixed together?

Thanks for the input everyone!

(y)

thanks for the pic! I think I may go darker, but I like the idea of mixing...

librarygirl said:
I think it should be ok but not sure of the differences between the two types other than one is supposed to contain bacteria (I wouldn't count on that though lol). I used the plain super naturals for a while with Corys and I didn't notice any issues. The sand isn't as fine as I had hoped and there was a glitter to it that drove me nuts after a while so I changed it out for Petco sand which is much softer and doesn't sparkle, but I think the Corys would be ok if you wanted to use it.

What Petco sand did you use?

I assume they meant this one Petco sand

I ended up going with the tahitian moon sand for no other reason than I was picking stuff up at petsmart. Looks like I could have saved a little $ going with the petco one though....

Thanks for the input everyone - I will be washing my new sand tomorrow!

Blasting sand is bad fir fish with barbels because it's really iron slag and will cut them worse than gravel

josh7 said:
Blasting sand is bad fir fish with barbels because it's really iron slag and will cut them worse than gravel

I capped my Black Diamond with Tahitian Moon Sand. I have TMS over Flourite Sand in my Cory tank. My habrosus are doing great.

I like blasting sand price I just cap it with pretty ( and smoother) TMS.

Back
Top Bottom