Tank is cycling- don’t want to lose fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BWS

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there, looking for some advice on fish-in cycling.
A little background- I bought 2 platys and had them in a 2.5 gallon tank. I know this is too small - my 6 yr old daughter and I went to the store for a new betta. She really wanted something different. The staff at the store talked me into 2 smaller platys even though I knew they wouldn’t be too happy in there. But the tank was cycled and I figured I could get a bigger tank in a month or two. We lost 1 platy after 1 month, but 1 week later when I did a water chance I found 4 fry hiding in the substrate! How exciting. So I went out and got a brand new 10 gallon setup, and decided to put the mom in the new tank and take my chances with cycling. I was going to wait til it cycled, but after 1 more week and water chance there was only 1 fry left. So I put the mom in the big tank and figured by the time it cycled maybe the fry would be a little bigger and I could put her back in the small tank until it stabilized. Well fast forward another week and another water change, and now I found 3 fry in the 10 gallon! Everything in the tank was new and I just scooped the mom out when I moved her so I found this very strange as a month had gone by since the first fry were born. In any case I managed to get all 3 fry out and into the 2.5 gallon, so now have 4 happy (but small) fry.
Came down yesterday morning to find mom hiding at bottom of tank and she is normally very active. I tested for ammonia right away and sure enough .25. So I added Tetra EasyBalance plus and did a 25% water change. I also added imagitarium biological booster hoping to speed up the cycle. She seemed to be acting back to her normal self this morning. I did another 25% water change before leaving for work all the same. When I got home this evening she was hiding again and seemed stressed. So I tested the water and back to .25. Nitrates are 0. I am afraid I am stopping the cycle from happening, but we really don’t want to lose our fish. Do I move her in with the fry? They are still small and I worry she will eat them, but there are hiding places and perhaps she be too stressed to be interested? I also know this will make it difficult to get the tank to cycle if there is no longer a fish in there, but I am so nervous about what will happen when the ammonia changes to nitrite. Any advice you can give me? Thanks in advance.

Back
Top Bottom