Tank is super slow cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caniac22

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 15 gallon tank with 3 guppies. I have had the tank set up for almost a month and my ammonia is growing, but nitrites haven't appeared nor nitrates. My PH is high around 7.7 but I can't seem to get it down with anything. I have used correct PH and PH Down but it won't go down. My tap water seems to have a high PH.

Now since the PH is high could that be why no Nitrites have appeared by now?
are there any remedies to get it down?

Just in case anyone asks my Ammonia is about 2 ppm

Stop with the buffers!
The gups will love a high ph!
Be patient 3 gups in 15 may take a while.
What is the ammonia level?

Stable pH is better than "right" pH. This is true for most fish. And guppies in particular like high pH and are extremely adaptable. This is also true for bacteria- adding too much chemicals and changing water parameters too much can hinder their growth.

Do you know any place you could get some seeded media to jump-start your cycle?

Hi Caniac22,
You say your ammonia is growing but your shouldn't let it exceed 0.25ppm as this will damage the fishes gills. Water change to keep it low. Here lies the problem with fish in cycling. Ammonia needs to be kept low to protect your fish but bacteria ideally needs around 4ppm to effectively multiply which is too high for the fish. Cycling with fish in is a slow procedure and you need to be very patient and very strict on water testing. Lots of people succeed, so don't get downhearted, just have more patience. Good luck with the tank.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom