Test Results

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bevoholic

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, I've been doing a fish in cycle with my Betta in a 5.5g for about 3 weeks now. Every day I do my tests (using API Master Kit), and things have been going smoothly so far. For the time being, I had just been testing pH and ammonia, because I figured the nitrites would take awhile before they showed up. Fast forward to today.

Tested the water like normal. pH was 7.8 and ammo was 0. This was the first time I had seen it at 0, which led me to do a test for nitrites. These were my results.

pH - 7.8, ammo - 0, nitrites - >5, and I didn't test nitrates.

So I do a 50% WC and refill. I wait 20 minutes and do another 50% WC and refill. Second test.

pH - 7.8, ammo - 0, nitrites - 2, nitrates - 5

Should I do another WC to get the nitrites down even farther?

Yes, but...
What is the nitrite level of you tap water? You will not be able to get it any lower.

Yes, but...
What is the nitrite level of you tap water? You will not be able to get it any lower.

I'm not sure. I've never tested my tap for nitrites. Only pH. Do I need to let the water sit for 24 hours before testing?

Nope.
After you know what your base level is you can then do the math to figure out how many, and how large, water changes you need to do to get it as low as possible.

Nope.
After you know what your base level is you can then do the math to figure out how many, and how large, water changes you need to do to get it as low as possible.

My tap water has nitrites in between 2ppm and 5ppm...Shouldn't tap water have 0?

That's a high reading, I would test it again just to make sure there was no error in the first test.

In a perfect world all of our tap water would be nice clean drinkable water. The fact is, it usually isn't. So long as you are using a good water conditioner, like Prime, that can temporarily detoxify the gunk then you should be fine. I would do double doses though just to be safe.

If the second test comes back with the same result you will never be able to get the nitrite in your tank below that level. Your options are then to be content with it, use a good water conditioner, and do daily 50% water changes until your tank completes its "cycle". Or, you can get RO water from your LFS and cut your tap water with it.

First, double-check the test. Shake the nitrite bottle for a few seconds and try again. If nitrites are that high from your tap, call your water company. High nitrites can cause problems in humans and most municipalities should limit the amount of nitrites. If it's really that high for the long-term it's going to be a bit of a problem for the tank, you might have to use RO water replenished with minerals or spring water. Most dechlorinators only detoxify ammonia and nitrite to a certain point (usually 1 ppm) so if your nitrites are really that high a dechlorinator won't touch most of it.

I did two tests from two different faucets in the house. Same result both tests. I also tested some "drinking water" that I get from my local grocery store, as well as a bottle of Dasani water, and those both tested at 0.

We also have a water softener installed...could that be causing high nitrites?

We also have a water softener installed...could that be causing high nitrites?

Not likely, but it's usually not recommended to use water that has passed through a softener. Do you have a tap point before the softener? If so, test from that tap. While you are at it, I would test for everything (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, GH and KH). Sometimes using the tap outside, the one that should be just above the house shut-off, can yield surprising results. Old pipes can add a bunch of crap and you can bypass them by using the outside tap.

RO from your LFS is going to be way cheaper than grocery store water.

Not likely, but it's usually not recommended to use water that has passed through a softener. Do you have a tap point before the softener? If so, test from that tap. While you are at it, I would test for everything (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, GH and KH).

RO from your LFS is going to be way cheaper than grocery store water.

I'm pretty sure the softener is installed on the main line coming from the street. I also don't have a test for GH and KH.

The softener is installed on the main line from the street. I've already contacted my water company and the EPA Safe Water Hotline. Hopefully something will be done about this soon.

Anyway, My LFS is about 15 miles away so between gas to get there and the grocery store up the street that has an RO dispenser machine outside, I can get it from there for only .33gallon.

Remember if you use 100% RO water you'll need to replenish it with something like RO Rite or Seachem Replenish as RO water is distilled water and has 0 nutrients for the fish and bacteria.

Remember if you use 100% RO water you'll need to replenish it with something like RO Rite or Seachem Replenish as RO water is distilled water and has 0 nutrients for the fish and bacteria.

I was going to do like a 90% RO to 10% tap water. That much diluted should take nitrites down to almost nothing and the biological filter should be able to handle it.

Am I correct in saying that?

Back
Top Bottom