Tiger Barbs & Neon Tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FISH-M0NK3Y

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've spent the day searching every forum post and article I could find about putting tiger barbs with neon tetras. It seems split, some say the barbs ignore the neons and some say it's a horrible idea. Does anyone else have any personal experience with this?

The barbs I'm looking to get will be smaller than the neons (to start)...if this may make a difference in how they grow to live with the neons? I was planning on 7-9 of each in my 29g tank. Possibly better to have 1-2 more neons than barbs?

I'm also open to suggestions to replace the barbs, I like fish that are more on the active side. Unfortunately with the barbs, the active side is aggression.

Thanks for any help!

TB's are hit or miss in terms of whether they'd bully Neons. In a large enough school they should ignore them. My TB's can't be bothered with neons in my tank.

However, you could look at either Black Ruby Barbs (get a mix of male / female) and or 5 banded barbs. Both look similar to TB's but are less aggressive. The male BRB turns a great black (body) and red (head) color .. very striking look. The females are more a honey brownish color with stripes similar to TB's.

Thanks for the suggestion! Not sure how I hadn't looked at the Black Ruby Barbs before. They may be a safer choice with the neons and I do like the colors, especially on the males. Is there a certain ratio to shoot for on male/female ruby barbs?

Thanks for the suggestion! Not sure how I hadn't looked at the Black Ruby Barbs before. They may be a safer choice with the neons and I do like the colors, especially on the males. Is there a certain ratio to shoot for on male/female ruby barbs?

3(female) to 1(male) is the ratio I've read.

I know not everyone is a fan of the GloFish Danios but I have a few with my neon Tetras and they get along well. They are active and colorful. :)

I've had neons with tiger barbs without any problems, but if you want to substitute another fish for the barbs, I would recommend five-banded barbs. They look a lot like tiger barbs, are active, non-fin nippers, and tight schoolers :)

Back
Top Bottom