unexpected first fish...quick help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ripvanrina

Aquarium Advice Regular
ok so if any of you read my last post I just finished doing a fishless cycle on a 25gal freshwater tank and was finalizing my fish choices...when i get home 20 minutes ago to find my dad bought me 2 cardinal tetras and 2 loaches, not exactly sure what kind. small, with a checkered stripe kind've down the side. :evil:
besides being extremely upset that after all my hard work and patience (i went into fishkeeping all by myself, and my family only helps me when they get to do the fun part) now I don't even get to pick out my first fish, and cardinals limit my choices severely so i hear, I don't know what to do. I'm supposed to do a 90% PWC to reduce the nitrates but can i do that now and then add the fish in?
I have an empty 10 gallon that i could fill with the water from tank, put the bags of fish in there, release them after an hour, add new water to my 25gal and wait for the temp to stabilize and then put them in?

I have no idea. sorry for the long post but i was planning on getting a pair of kribs this weekend and preparing until then...now I'm so lost. :(

oh ya parameters..
ph:7.6
NH3: 0
NO2:0
NO3: 40ppm ...about, maybe slightly higher

perfect. now when i'm trying to do this massive pwc with no time to let the water sit for awhile i was checking the temp on all the water in the ten gallon i filled, the new water i'm adding and the old water still in the 25 and i dropped the thermometer in the tank forgetting it's only half full and it smashed down on a rock and broke. now i have broken glass and those little black beads that held it upright in my tank. someone please help. i'm just doing this blindly

Is the broken glass in the ten gallon? If so just scoop out all the gravel. You don't need it. I am assuming you decided to put the fish in the ten gallon? Take ten gallons of water from your 25, put it into the ten gallon, get a heater in there and a filter if you have one. Its not necessary to let the water sit when doing a water change, I know some people prefer it. Just add your dechlor, you will be fine.
Acclimate your fish in the ten gallon. You will probably have a cycle, but if you keep an eye on the parameters and do pwcs, the fish might be ok.

no the glass is in the 25. most is on a rock, so that can't be too difficult, but i'm afraid some fell into the gravel and i dont want the loaches to cut themselves on it

Are the fish going into the 10 or the 25? What I would do, is get a cup, and scoop out the whole area where the thermometer broke. And then carefully sift through the rest of the gravel and make sure there aren't any more pieces.

I would do what Meredith suggested with the cup. As to your fish tank, if it was finished its cycle and you were just doing your massive water change, do that and let the tank sit for a day. Test your water, and if the parameters are still good, just put the fish in there. In the meantime, they can stay in the 10 gallon for a day. Hopefully, you have a heater and a filter.

I've undergone the same experience where my family came home with my 2 goldfish and all I had were the 2 smaller tropical tanks.

Oh well. At least you're near if not at the end of your cycle. The fish can survive in the 10g for a while (they're better off than my ones :roll: )

Though remember that your family is just trying to contribute to your hobby. However, yes, it would be best if they actually consulted you first.

Do cardinals limit your choices? I feel they are compatible with most things.

oh are they? I guess it's neon's that would then. can I get bigger fish like kribs or gouramis with them? The loaches are already chasing them around. thanks for the help guys, i think the fish are doing fine.

is it just the bottom of the thermomoter that broke, otherwise, you might have mercury through ur tank. if thats the case, you may as well start over, And I have no idea what cleans mercury out.

ripvanrina said:
oh are they? I guess it's neon's that would then. can I get bigger fish like kribs or gouramis with them? The loaches are already chasing them around. thanks for the help guys, i think the fish are doing fine.

yes you can. its the bigger chilids that you have to watch out for like 4 to 5+

cool. then I'll be fine. thanks for all the help! and no, there's no mercury in my tank. i would've been a bit more hesitant to clean it up myself, let alone put my fish in there if the 'red' part had broken. are thermometers still made with mercury?

Back
Top Bottom