Unplanned fish-in cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JennaNiccole

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

So backstory, on June 4th I impulse bought a gorgeous betta I'd fallen in love with at my LFS. I wasn't planning on a betta, but I did have an empty 10 and extra filters, so I figured cycling wouldn't be too hard. I used 50% of the established media in one of my other tanks, picked up some seachem stability, and figured I'd go through a mini cycle but that it'd establish pretty quickly and be fine. Unfortunately this betta doesn't seem to be able to tolerate any filter flow at all- even with the exact same filter baffled the exact same way that I have it in my other betta tank. I had to switch to a sponge filter just to keep him from refusing to swim and getting stuck places, but now I'm back to square one with cycling. (Side note I did put the filter the betta didn't like on my uncycled to-be snail tank and it cycled within 5 days!)

My question is, how long will it probably take to do a fish in cycle in a 10 gallon with a sponge filter? I've been doing 30-40% water changes every day or every other day and using seachem stability and prime, ammonia tends to be around .25ppm. I've never done fish in cycling before, so I know usually it takes me about 6 weeks with no water changes to cycle a tank, but obviously I can't let the ammonia build up as high as I do without fish!

I know it's at least half my own fault for impulse buying, but I'm just kind of tired of such frequent water changes and I'm hoping to know if I should expect to have to do daily water changes for something like 2 weeks, or 6 weeks, or 4 months? :blink:

Probably 4-6 weeks, but if you get a bacterial starter (Dr. Tim's all in one, tetra safe start+, seachem stability) they considerably speed up a cycle.

I've got a few plants and I'm dosing seachem stability daily. How much (ish) should that speed it up?

May knock a couple weeks off, sometimes better. Fish in cycle's are just more work to keep fish safe.

Awesome, thanks you! I woke up to nitrites this morning, so at least I'm getting somewhere! :)

Back
Top Bottom