Upgrading and Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hortoholic

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey Guy's, I think it's about time I decided to make the jump from a sad 2.5 gallon to a 10 gallon. i am a little confused about this cycling process or what I should do next. As you may know, I started a 10 gallon and si far, I have added the substrate have been added. Filtration is by a Aquatech 5-15 with some bio fiber. I still have the 2.5 gallon substrate which is established. I plan to take a little of the gravel and put it in a bag with holes. Now, what can I do to keep the bacteria Ilive. I presume this is the "fishless sycle". What can I do to get the beneficial bacteria into the new substrate and keep it alive for a few weeks. Or what would be the best method to go about this. Right now, its filled and the water is dechlorinated. I a am a novice still and this is my willl be my first real tank. I thank you for your help,

hortoholic

Are you keeping the 2.5gal running, or shutting it down?
Fish going from one to the other? Are putting a new/larger filter on the 10gal?

If not keeping the 2.5, use the 2.5s filter in the 10gal and run a new filter next to it, if doing this, squeeze any gunk from the established media into the new media, or put the media from the Aquatech into the new filter.
Either transfer the 2.5s substrate over to the 10gal and/or mix some (25%+ more is better) into the new (I prefer this method), or fill a filter sachet/pantyhose with a generous amount of established substrate.
Doing it this way your good to go immediately with the same fish going into the 10gal. If your adding new stock into the 10gal, do it a few at a time.

If you're keeping the 2.5gal running, then setup the 10gal completely.
Dump a cup or two of the established substrate into the new, or satchet/pantyhose some. Squeeze any gunk outta the old filter into the new.
Feed the BB with ammonia until cycle is established, which should be good within a week or two following these methods.

ChileRelleno,

Thanks fo your response! :) I thinking about shutting it down since I will be giving the tank to my sister for her betta. I also added an air stone and I added some fish food in the water in the morning and I started to get an almost imediate rise in amonia. Later the same day, I did as you said and added a sachet of gravel into the tank. I hope two weeks is enough? and would I keep feeding the tank with food every day or should I keep checking and add accordingly?

Thank you for your attention in this mater,

hortoholic

ChileRelleno,

Thanks fo your response! :) I thinking about shutting it down since I will be giving the tank to my sister for her betta. I also added an air stone and I added some fish food in the water in the morning and I started to get an almost imediate rise in amonia. Later the same day, I did as you said and added a sachet of gravel into the tank. I hope two weeks is enough? and would I keep feeding the tank with food every day or should I keep checking and add accordingly?

Thank you for your attention in this mater,

hortoholic
Feed the cycle every day and test it.
Jump start the new filter media, squeeze all the gunk outta the old into the new, its loaded with BB.

Back
Top Bottom