Upgrading to bigger tank (filter question)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spenny

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey AA!
I am going to be getting a 55gal tank shortly, and I don't want to go through the cycle, and even worse, NTS! I have my established 25gal and figured I could buy the new filter (AC110), run it in the 25 for a 4-5 days (along with the AC50 currently running), and then it be good to go for my 55gal. The only thing that will be new in the 55 will be the substrate.

I assume this would be ok, but just want to double check.
Thanks
spenny

Should be fine if it's run in the smaller tank for the first week to seed the bacteria. The longer you can run it in there the better, but a week should be sufficient to get a good colony started. Just be careful that the combined flow from both filters isn't too much for your fish in the 25 gallon. My guppies didn't appreciate it when I was running two filters on my 75 gallon tank while swapping from an Emperor 400 to a Filstar XP3 because it blew them all over the place.

I second that. Running it for a few weeks is your best bet. I also recommend to just get the filter, and use the filter cartridge that is in the AC 50 in the new filter. This will allow the many BB (beneficial bacteria) to seed your tank, and there would be more in the old filter (AC 50) than just running the new filter for a little while.

Hope I helped!

I second that. Running it for a few weeks is your best bet. I also recommend to just get the filter, and use the filter cartridge that is in the AC 50 in the new filter. This will allow the many BB (beneficial bacteria) to seed your tank, and there would be more in the old filter (AC 50) than just running the new filter for a little while.

Hope I helped!

So say I go that route, how do I keep the AC50 in prime shape to run the 25gal after? I guess I would just do the same thing I proposed above? Get the 55gal with the AC110 up and running, and then toss in the AC50, get that going, and then into the 25gal?

Thanks, I appreciate the help!
spenny

I don't entirely understand your question, but I will break it down.

Get the AC110. Put the AC 110 into the 55, and then go over to your 25 gallon (Or whichever one has the AC 50). Take out the filter media in the AC 50 and put it into the AC 110. Get some new media and put it into the AC 50. Leave the AC 50's filter media in the AC 110 for a month or so, and then take it out. Replace it with media that actually fits the 110.

I don't entirely understand your question, but I will break it down.

Get the AC110. Put the AC 110 into the 55, and then go over to your 25 gallon (Or whichever one has the AC 50). Take out the filter cartridge in the AC 50 and put it into the AC 110. Get a new filter cartridge and put it into the AC 50. Leave the AC 50's cartridge in the AC 110 for a month or so, and then take out the cartridge. Replace it with a cartridge that actually fits the 110.

Perfect. That was the answer I was looking for! I am sorry for the lack of clarity in my post.
Appreciate the help!

spenny

An easier and faster way to get the new filter's bb started is to just transfer some biological media from the old filter to the new one.

phoenixkiller said:
That's what I said several days ago. Just a heads up.

You weren't clear on what media to transfer. You said move the filter cartridge, but Aquaclears have baskets. Lol.

When I got my 30 gallon tank, I did a fishless cycle and used my filter from 10 gallon with the bacteria to cycle. Took about a week and my tank was ready to go! I also had gravel in there that had been used in an established aquarium as well!

bdp242 said:
When I got my 30 gallon tank, I did a fishless cycle and used my filter from 10 gallon with the bacteria to cycle. Took about a week and my tank was ready to go! I also had gravel in there that had been used in an established aquarium as well!

Yep, and if a lot of established media is used, then it can cycle even faster. But I say it will still take a bit more than a week, no way to know for sure though.

Back
Top Bottom