Using old tank water to start new aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dechlorinator is dechlorinator, as long as it detoxifies chlorine AND chloramine.

The "betta" version of the dechlor is likely a watered down version of regular dechlor, which makes it easier to dose in small tanks, but much more expensive in the long run. I would suggest buying a bottle of Seachem's Prime. A capful treats 50 gallons of water. Purchase a syringe or an eye dropper for the small tank- the dosage for small tanks is 2 drops per gallon. The stuff is very concentrated and a great bargain compared to some other brands.

If you need to use it for now until you can get something else then I think it's fine, it seems to detoxify heavy metals, chlorine and chloramines. Just read the dosing on the bottle to see how much to use. If you're refilling the whole tank with new water you can just dose for the entire volume of the tank and then put the new water in. You might want to invest in an automatic water changer (like the Aqueon) since it's a larger tank, the changer will attach to your faucet and drain and refill the tank so you won't need buckets. When you buy additional dechlorinator, get Prime; it's one of the best and very concentrated so you'll end up using less.

I agree that it is fine for now as long as it takes care of chlorine AND chloramine. But I would imagine that it will be gone quickly, as it is designed for small tanks. :)

Ok, I will buy this today as well, since the betta dechlorinator that I currently have won't be enough for 55g :-D and kinda costly

If you need to use it for now until you can get something else then I think it's fine, it seems to detoxify heavy metals, chlorine and chloramines. Just read the dosing on the bottle to see how much to use. If you're refilling the whole tank with new water you can just dose for the entire volume of the tank and then put the new water in. You might want to invest in an automatic water changer (like the Aqueon) since it's a larger tank, the changer will attach to your faucet and drain and refill the tank so you won't need buckets. When you buy additional dechlorinator, get Prime; it's one of the best and very concentrated so you'll end up using less.

The only reason why I have old water in the buckets is because the tank had to be moved from one location to another. I couldn't move it with water, fishes, decor and sand. That is why I had to take everything out. And I have decided to store the old water only because someone told me that it will be better if I will use 85% of an old water and 15% new. But thank you for the advice.

I am still confused... new water & old filter with bacteria? old water & old filter? What will make the cycling process faster?

The beneficial bacteria are growing in the old filter! See as the new dechlorinated water passes thru the filter the bb eat the ammonia.

There isn't much bacteria in the water itself, so it doesn't matter if you use old or/and new. But the fish are used to the old water so if you use mostly new water you'll have to acclimate them. You could add 50% new water and 50% old water and then put them in (or however much water you have enough dechlorinator for). Keep the filters, they house most of your bacteria.

Now I got it. Thank you guys. I will run into the store to buy everything for my new pets :-D

Through the move till now... Did you keep the old filters wet and not let them dry out at all? Also, how long have they been stored for this move?

Through the move till now... Did you keep the old filters wet and not let them dry out at all? Also, how long have they been stored for this move?

Yes, the old filter was in the bucket full of water for exactly one day now. Is this still ok or one day is already too much?

kotenok said:
Yes, the old filter was in the bucket full of water for exactly one day now. Is this still ok or one day is already too much?

One days fine. If its going to be any longer pop an air stone in with it. The bacteria won't starve in a few days. I think it takes 1-2 weeks before that happens.

Back
Top Bottom