Vaccume gravel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been told once a week along with a 50% PWC (partial water change using de-chlorinated water, of course!). But it depend on the size of the tank and whether it is fully cycled ahead of time.

I've been told once a week along with a 50% PWC (partial water change using de-chlorinated water, of course!). But it depend on the size of the tank and whether it is fully cycled ahead of time.

55gal tank, water changes about 3 days. Never really vacuumed the gravel,. Running about 2 months

Hello bluz...

You don't need to vacuum the gravel. The material that settles to the bottom of the tank eventually dissolves in the water and are removed through large, frequent water changes.

B

I used to have gravel and didn't vacuum much then when I removed it to put in sand it was shocking and disgusting how much literal crap and debris was in between the gravel and underneath it. It was keeping my tank under constant assault. I would never do gravel again for that reason and if I did would keep it shallow and vacuum in it regularly. But that's just my experience.

Hello bluz...

You don't need to vacuum the gravel. The material that settles to the bottom of the tank eventually dissolves in the water and are removed through large, frequent water changes.

B

Can the dirty gravel foul the water? Cause high ammonia levels?

Vacuuming the Substrate

Hello again bluz...

If you don't change the water frequently, the waste material will build up and foul the tank water. The fish swim in their own waste, so you have to replace the water regularly.

Everything in the tank will eventually dissolve in the water. Wastes the fish produce dissolve and produce forms of nitrogen like ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. The first two are very toxic to aquarium fish. But, if you remove and replace half the tank water every week or two, you remove the toxins. Doing this routinely, will guarantee healthy water conditions for the fish and plants.

B

A gravel vac is a handy way to perform pwc. it removes waste and future ammonia sources and water too. Definitely do one once a week.

A gravel vac is a handy way to perform pwc. it removes waste and future ammonia sources and water too. Definitely do one once a week.

+1. Makes sense to get the gunk out before it decomposes and fouls the water. Especially if you have goldfish or plecos. You wouldn't be able to change the water often enough to compensate for the sheer volume of poop you'd be leaving in the tank.
I use a gravel vac to do my water changes twice a week. If I don't, my nitrates begin to creep, and the water column has floating particulate matter from the cories and loaches stirring up the substrate.
That said, if you have a heavily planted tank and your stock has a low bioload, you may get away without regular gravel vacs.

Back
Top Bottom