Water Parameters Talk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaneu

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello all. I'm new to this forum and wondering if anyone could help me understand a few things about pH, gH, and kH. I am going to be using RO water in a 75g tank and need to add back in alkaline in order to buffer pH and stabilize it. But I want to keep ram cichlids and possibly discus. So I need to also find a way to keep the pH down to between 6.5 and 7. So I need to add an acid buffer. I also have a jar of seacham equilibrium to add back in general hardness.
Ok so here is the main question, how do I know how much to add in to get the right water peramitters. Everything I have is measured in mEq/L and it says 1tps or 1 tbps to raise it by 1 for 50L (20g). What does this mean? 1 what? I have been aquanted with the term of ppm. But not these other units of measurement. So I'm super confused as to how much to actually use. Videos on the web describe what the terms mean, but not how they are related. Also I am reading people who are saying that gH and kH need to be around 4-5. Again, 4 or 5 what? I'm confused.
Can anyone help? Or lead me to a link that can actually describe how these are related? I would be really greatful for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom