Water Readings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Judge92

Aquarium Advice Activist
So right now I'm not quite sure what is going on. My tank was cycled and has fish in it. I had an ammonia spike recently (went up to 2.4) and I did a few water changes.

The ammonia is now down to 0.6 but nitrites and nitrates are both 0. What exactly is happening right now?

I'm going to do a water change to bring the ammonia down. Is this the right thing to do right now?

How long has the tank been set up? How long ago did you add fish? How many fish did you add when you added them?

I would suspect one of two things. Either the tank was not actually cycled, but appeared to you as it was... or... you've added too many fish at once and killed the cycle... could be other things as well, those are just the most common.

No. The tank was cycled. Fish were added every so often. Like a couple a week or so. Not many. The last time I added fish was maybe a week or longer ago. And the last time I did was a clown pleco and one cory added to my group of 3. This spike happened just recently which was noted in my other thread "Red platy: problem?".

It was theorized that the spike could have come from changing filter cartridges. The point is, right now, why is the nitrates at 0? What will happen next? I mean when I do water changes it'll get rid of the ammonia, but if the nitrites and nitrates are at 0 does that mean that it got out of the cycle or something? This is why I'm confused. I'm just not sure as to what's supposed to happen now...even when it was cycled :S

Have you counted your fish? A dead fish could cause the ammonia spike also.

As I'm sure you've been told, changing filter cartridges is rarely a good idea. Keep an eye on the water parameters and you'll probably see a nitrite spike as well.

All fish are accounted for. I'll do a test and another water change tonight. So does this mean I'm in a cycle with fish?

It's usually referred to as a mini-cycle, as it doesn't take as long as the first did, but yes, it's still a cycle. You'll have to watch your water parameters and do a lot of PWCs.

Oh ok, so constant water changes and testing lol. I should expect to see nitrites soon?

Yep. And you should test for Nitrites A LOT. (5 drops and shake - easy).

I was in a fish-in cycle and when my ammonia finally switched to Nitrite - it shot up to about 7.0 on the scale in less than 24 hours and my Bushynose Pleco was burned beyond survival by it.

If you do see your Nitrite spike to obscene levels - start water changes immediately and you can also do a 500% dose of Prime - it helped make sure the pleco was the only victim of my inexperience.

Back
Top Bottom