What to put in a 20gallon long?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Visionist

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been a reptile/hedgehog person for a decent while now and I've recently become interested in setting up an aquarium. I purchased a Fluval c3 filter and right now the water is cycling. I don't have any plants or substrate in it yet, but I plan to get a few live plants and I haven't decided on gravel vs sand yet.

Right now I'm trying to figure out what fish I want. The few pet stores around here don't have a huge selection but I know I would like possible a Gourami, and a few Orange sword tails. Those are the fish that have caught my eye at the pet stores. I know there are some tetras(emporer, neon etc) at the stores here. I like the Albino sharks but from what I can tell they need a much larger tank. Does anyone have some suggestions as to what would be some good fish and how many of each I could have? Would there be any other nice looking centerpiece fish other than a gourami?
Thanks!

Welcome to Aquarium Advice! I think a Dwarf Gourami would be okay in a 20g Long. I also believe that you are correct in your thinking that an Albino Shark gets a bit too large to be happy in a 20g. :)

I also have a 20g, and if you are interested, you can click on the link in my signature to check it out. I have Cory Catfish, Black Skirt Tetras, and a single male Guppy. I do plan on adding a few more fish to the setup though. :)
EDIT: Took out Swordtail info, as I am not completely confident on that topic yet.

Last edited:
What about something like:
3 sparkling gouramis (a trio), Or 1 honey gourami
8 neon tetras
3 platies
15 red cherry shrimp
1 nerite snail

The Aqadvisor website puts it at 63% or so of the tanks capacity, does that mean I could have a little more than that?

What about something like:
3 sparkling gouramis (a trio), Or 1 honey gourami
8 neon tetras
3 platies
15 red cherry shrimp
1 nerite snail

The Aqadvisor website puts it at 63% or so of the tanks capacity, does that mean I could have a little more than that?

Yes, that means that you could have more, although I think AqAdvisor is slightly off, in it's estimate. I would say that if you do go with that, then you shouldn't add any more. I am not a fan of just 3 platies, so I would ditch them, and instead add more neons. Or create a small school of neons and a small school of something else.

Yes, that means that you could have more, although I think AqAdvisor is slightly off, in it's estimate. I would say that if you do go with that, then you shouldn't add any more. I am not a fan of just 3 platies, so I would ditch them, and instead add more neons. Or create a small school of neons and a small school of something else.

I was using that list a bit of a reference, I'm not a huge fan of neons but I just bought 4 Hi fin sunset platy's and introduced them to the tank first. I really like the look of Dwarf gourami's, would I be able to keep more than one though?

I was using that list a bit of a reference, I'm not a huge fan of neons but I just bought 4 Hi fin sunset platy's and introduced them to the tank first. I really like the look of Dwarf gourami's, would I be able to keep more than one though?

In a 20, no.

In a 20, no.

Why is that exactly? The website puts it at around 75%(I know its just a general basis, not 100% accurate). Do they not get along in a smaller space or something along those lines?

They don't get along in a tank that small. I suppose you could do a pair, but they would be quite aggressive during mating. 2 males is a definite no, they would fight quite a bit. I am not too sure, but some put in a male and a few females. I would need others to chime in.

Back
Top Bottom