Where am I at in my cycle? In need of a second opinion...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Legacy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi guys,

Been cycling my seeded 6G Brackish Tank for a week now and I think it's almost done. I just want a second opinion.

Last night my readings were:

NH3 = 2.0ppm
NO2 = 3.0-4.0ppm

Tonight my readings are:

NH3 = 0ppm
NO2 = 2.0ppm

I was told that testing NO3 when NO2 is present is a waste of time because the NO2 will cause a false reading so I haven't been testing for it. Think the NO2 will go away on it's own by tomorrow or should I do a PWC to knock it out?

What's my next step?

I would do a water change and see what your readings are tomorrow. If your NO2 is down check for NO3 and good luck. To be honest you could wait if you wanted and the NO2 would go away on it's own but if you are using seeded filter media, it shouldn't hurt to do a water change to speed the process up. JMO.

The Nitrite level will go away on its own. It's hard to believe that the tank is completly cycled in a weeks time. Have you been dosing ammonia daily? Are there any fish in the tank? Water changes are not necessary unless fish are in the tank.

What you've heard is true. The only thing you are missing is a nitrate test. Once you have 0 NH3, 0 NO2 and 10-20ppm NO3, you are finished.

I have to agree with FF...a completed cycle in a week is really strange, unless established media is being used.

I believe Legacy is using seeded media for the tank, unless I am misunderstanding the original post. I've had success with cycling in a week with seeded media and ammonia. I may have misunderstood the post mind you, :D

Yup, seeded media from my 40G Archer tank, and it's actually been in there for more like 1.5weeks. I was already cycling and I jump started it with media from my other tank.

Todays reading are:

NH3 = 0ppm
NO2 = .50ppm
NO3 = 7-10ppm

No fish in the tank yet, I'm trying to figure out if it will be safe to put on in yet or not.

Its safe once your NH3 and NO2 levels are zero and you do a water change just before introdusing the new fish.. most go with a 50% water change and it usually leaves them with somewere around 5ppm of NO3 to start with..

So what if I end up waiting a few days before putting any livestock in the fish tank. Will the bacteria survive w/o any NH3 in the water or will I need to put a small amount back in for them?

If going without livestock, just spike the aquarium with maybe 1ppm per day straight ammonia to keep the bacteria fed.

Back
Top Bottom