Will this help my nitrate levels??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Camogirl28

Aquarium Advice Activist
I on Thursday I did a 25% water Change, added plants, and filled with Prime treated water. So on Sunday is it okay to do a 50% water change because my nitrate is still really high

With my limited experience and knowledge of aquariums and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, yes, it is okay to do a 50 percent water change to bring down nitrates. As far as I know, its the main way to bring down nitrate levels.

Don't expect the plants you added to absorb a lot of nitrate. They are all fast growers. As I suggested previously in a different thread when you have above a 40ppm nitrate level then a 50% water change is recommended.

Water Chemistry

I on Thursday I did a 25% water Change, added plants, and filled with Prime treated water. So on Sunday is it okay to do a 50% water change because my nitrate is still really high

Hello Cam...

Nitrates are at the tail end of the nitrogen cycle, so even a high level isn't bad. Ideally, you want them in the 20 to 30 ppm range. But, even a reading of 60 or even higher will at most create a slight discomfort for the fish.

Large, weekly water changes are really a must for any tank. It's the most important thing you can do to keep your fish and plants healthy. The more water you change and the more often you change it, the better.

Hopefully, you have good tap water. Follow a good water change routine and whatever the chemistry, your fish and plants will adjust and all the new water will keep the water free of the most toxic forms of nitrogen and help maintain a stable water chemistry.

B

What is the nitrate level in your tap water? Didn't I read in another post you have high nitrates in your tap water? If this is the case doing large WC's isn't going to help lower it. In that instance you will need to see about using RO water, nitrate resins, and other nitrate lowering methods.

Back
Top Bottom