Algae stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pzunker

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi- like everyone else, I am battling green HA in my 29 gallon SW tank. I recently got a diamond goby which helps the sand a bit and also got 5 turbo snails and a big ol zebra snail. The turbos dont always clean the glass like they should and the green algae covers my glass in a matter of days. I have 2 bubble tip anems so I dont want to leave my lights off for too long, I do partial RO water changes and keep my filter media changed. I read on another forum where someone removed their filter media and replaced them with LR frags. Is that recommended? Seems odd to me.

Anyhow, any suggestions? I have the snails, 2 emerald crabs and a few hermits. I also use algae fix from time to time as well but I get sick of pulling my carbon filters whenever I use it. Any advice?

Are you using RODI water?

What are your nitrates and phosphates testing at?

RODI: Reverse Osmosis Deionization. What TDS are you getting at the output of your RO system?

40 is pretty high - probably a contributing factor to your algae issue. Getting rid of your filter media could help lower nitrates. You also need to look at other considerations such as how much are you feeding the tank, and how long per day are you lighting the tank (and how are you lighting it)?

I dont have my own RO system. I purchase the RO water. I just have 2 T5 lights with a white/bleu LED setup as well. Theybdo stay on too long; probably from 8am till 11pm right now.

Whatvdo I do if I remove my filter cartridges? I cant imagine I would just leave the chambervemptybas the filter pump would seem a bit useless then. What should I do?

I feed some omega brine shrimp in the am and pm. 1/2 frozen cube thawed and rinsed in a brine shrimp net with RO prior to feeding.

Back
Top Bottom