Butterfly not eating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkW19

Aquarium Advice Addict
On Sunday I put a long-nosed butterfly in QT, but as yet he's not eaten.

I've put some seaweed in (just a little bit) and some brine shrimp, and I've tried a little bit each day, but he just ignores it even if it drifts right by him.

I'm going to get some garlic extreme tomorrow to see if that works.

Other than that, he looks fine.

Anyone any suggestions?

I would try the garlic and froozen mysis to see if that works. Keep us posted.

I agree.. brine shrimp is useless, try the mysis soaked in garlic.

This is a little off topic but don't you have a 35 gal tank? Those butterflies get kinda big.

I'm upgrading my tank later this year, all being well!

I've just got some Kent Garlic Extreme (it stinks!).

It says I can either add 2 drops of it to each teaspoon of food (which will be a maximum of 1 drop because I don't feed a teaspoon!), or I can add it directly to the water at a rate of 1 drop per 10 gallons, if the fish isn't eating.

Which would be better - directly in the food or in the tank itself?

Add a drop to the food when you're thawing it out. That stuff is pretty potent so be careful not to use too often or you'll get a nice oil slick at the water surface.

I'm upgrading my tank later this year, all being well!
Nice.. how big ya gonna go?

I thawed my food last night - shall I just add one drop now to the thawed food that's left?

100g all being well!! :D

And I know it's potent - I nearly spewed up when I took the lid off! 8O

Awesome.. bet ya can't wait to get that set up.

Yea just add it to the food and let it soak in for a bit.

Heh.. I'm pretty much part of the furniture around here :lol:

Just tried a bit of garlic juice - he at least went for the food this time, and also piked around at a couple of bits on the bottom.

I don't think he got much, but he got a little bit. I tried putting a bit more in but it didn't really interest him.

BTW, is it ok to feed the same garlic-soaked food to my fish in my main tank which are fine, or would it be better to do seperate foods?

Garlic is good for everyone.. take a bite yourself too :p

Back
Top Bottom