Clown shedding slime coat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bmb4516

Aquarium Advice Regular
The maroon clown that I just got seems to be shedding his slime coat in my QT. He hasn't eaten yet either. Any advice?

SG: 1.24
Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: 10
Nitrite:0

Formalin, the clown most likely has brooklynella hostilis. It is imperitive that you begin treatment immediately.

Should I treat my display tank as well? Is formalin same for inverts?

Also, what is the best way to do this treatment. This isn't a problem I've had before.

Please just treat the qt tank. Formalin will kill your inverts. Dosage instructions will be included with the med.

No do not treat your display tank, just the qt.

Terry D. Bartelme in [url=http://petsforum.com/cis-fishnet/seascope/99SS1601.htm said:
Formaldehyde: Friend or Foe?[/url]]
A series of three dips, one every other day, should be performed for 45 minutes each time to ensure that any parasites hidden under the mucus layer or imbedded in the external tissues are eradicated. Never extend treatment beyond 60 minutes. The dosage is 20 drops or I milliliter of formalin per gallon of water, or 250 parts per million formalin. Formalin will remove oxygen from the water so it is very important to place an air stone or other device in the dip to provide a constant supply of' oxygen. Good water will guarantee that there are no areas in the dip with higher concentrations of the drug. A small heater can be placed in the dip to maintain a stable temperature during treatment. Formaldehyde becomes more toxic as the temperature rises. Also the amount of' oxygen that water can hold is at higher temperatures, so I recommend not using, formalin above 80 degrees Fahrenheit. The fish should be carefullv attended throughout treatment, and immediately removed to untreated water if there are signs of extreme stress such as jumping, excess mucus-production, faded color, or loss of equilibrium. An alternate method of administration is a prolonged bath in a quarantine tank at 15 to 25 mg/liter. Two drops per gallon of water is roughly equivalent to 25 mg/liter.

Back
Top Bottom