cyano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darylb

Aquarium Advice Addict
Whats the best way to get rid of cyano its a 55gal bow front had fully cured live rock from my old tank put in i think the cured live rock i put in had some on it can i get a blenny to get rid of it

I don't think Benny's will eat cyano because it's more of a bacteria than algae. I used to have it. It's caused by improper placement of a power head/circulation pump, or improper lighting. What type of lighting do you have? If you don't think it's the lighting than try moving your power heads around to an area you don't get as much circulation. Better yet place it were it indirectly hits the cyano. Also keep up on water changes. If your up to date on that, do a bigger water change. That should help.

I don't think Benny's will eat cyano because it's more of a bacteria than algae. I used to have it. It's caused by improper placement of a power head/circulation pump, or improper lighting. What type of lighting do you have? If you don't think it's the lighting than try moving your power heads around to an area you don't get as much circulation. Better yet place it were it indirectly hits the cyano. Also keep up on water changes. If your up to date on that, do a bigger water change. That should help.

That's not true. I'm fighting cyano right now. It's on my power heads and the inlet of my skimmer. I have 2 power heads a 850gph and a 1600 gph. I really don't have dead spots

Whats the best way to get rid of cyano its a 55gal bow front had fully cured live rock from my old tank put in i think the cured live rock i put in had some on it can i get a blenny to get rid of it

Cyano is caused by excess nutrients, not enough flow, and/or lighting issues. Unfortunately fish will not remove the cyano as it is a bacteria. Are you over feeding? How much and how often are you feeding? What's your flow like? Also, are your lights on for too long?

In most cases, cyano occurs because of overfeeding. What are your water parameters like?

I got recommended two products. Dr Tim's waste away and dr Tim's Eco- balance

Those products will help with the symptoms and not the cause. It's best to figure out what is causing the cyano and fix that.

My LEDs are 2 months old. I have plenty of flow. MY nitrates-0 nitrites-0 ammonia-0 ph-8.3 phosphates-0 calcium-420. What do you think is the cause of my cyno

My LEDs are 2 months old. I have plenty of flow. MY nitrates-0 nitrites-0 ammonia-0 ph-8.3 phosphates-0 calcium-420. What do you think is the cause of my cyno

Please be more specific....how long do you run your lights? How often and how much do you feed?

This isn't my thread but the info should help the Other person. I have my taotronics on for 10 hours a day. I feed 1 cube of either brine or mysis shrimp every other day. I do a 20% water change every Saturday. Rodi water. Instant ocean reef crystals. I've checked my lvls with 4 different tests kits, just in case, they all read the same. Salinity 1.026 temp stays between 78&79.

This isn't my thread but the info should help the Other person. I have my taotronics on for 10 hours a day. I feed 1 cube of either brine or mysis shrimp every other day. I do a 20% water change every Saturday. Rodi water. Instant ocean reef crystals. I've checked my lvls with 4 different tests kits, just in case, they all read the same. Salinity 1.026 temp stays between 78&79.

Oh oops, thought you were the OP. Replying to too many threads i guess lol.

Also, are you rinsing the frozen food before you add to the tank?

I haven't changed them. I plan in it before I run the water. No I don't rinse the food. Not sure how to do that

How long have you had your rodi system?

To rinse your food, melt/dissolve the cube in a small container of your tank water. Strain it with whatever netting you may have. (fish net works ok. I use extra window netting I had from an install I used to fix my screen door). Rinse the food with a bit more tank water and strain again, then add to tank. Will help a lot with phosphates. A lot of gunk in those frozen cube food.

I bought it used two months ago. I know the best tds is 0 but I was told that 3 isn't bad. I'm waiting on my new di resin, carbon and sediment filters to come in. Not planning on making more water for a few days. I'll start rinsing the food and see if that helps

This is a semi new tank all params are normal even phosphate the live rock i added from my old tank had cyano on it i tried to siphon as much as i could off

This is a semi new tank all params are normal even phosphate the live rock i added from my old tank had cyano on it i tried to siphon as much as i could off

I'm going to try the stuff I told you about. I should start treatment tomorrow or Saturday and ill let you know how good it works

Back
Top Bottom