Denitrifying Bacteria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattmku

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been reading multiple posts about denitrifying bacteria that rid tanks of nitrates, but what is the best way grow large colonies of these anaerobic bacteria. I know live rock is suitable, and a fuge is out of the question on my 20 gallon tank.

depends on the grain. smaller grains don't have to be as deep. Read up a LOT on DSB before you decide to go that route.

I think in a 20 gal tank having a DSB 4-6"+ would take away needed water volume. The bacteria can grow in low oxygen areas of the tank. Under LR, if you have porous LR it can grow in the LR also.
Do a google search on this and you will find a lot to read.

just to play devils advocate mattmku have you ever seen a dsb in a tank? They are ugly as sin IMO. I know the dsb supporters will probably start thrashing me any minute but they are very unappealing. Yes they do work well for some but if nitrates are your only concern there are other more aesthetically pleasing alternatives. The best thing to do first is figure out why your nitrates are high(I am assuming they are) and try and deal with that. It could be the water you are using,overfeeding or something has died causing some spikes. Why is a fuge out of the question? Limited space?

There won't be any thrashing. Everyone is intitled to their opinion and both sides have valid arguments.

In terms of how they look. A lot of the "thick front of moldy lookin junk" can be offset by sloping your DSB down in the front to minimize that. Also, I think a lot of people take the "Deep" part of a DSB a little too far. I don't think you need 6" of sand in a fish tank. I have 3-4 inches, which only comes up over the plastic trim of my 55 by about 1 to 1-1/2 inches. I hardly even notice it.

The Eskimo's points on finding the cause is important. If you can't find a source for it then you can start thinking about filtration (LR/LS/Fuge). But you should first rule out the possability of an external source such as those listed by Eskimo.

Eskimo, I think i agree with you on the dsb in the tank, but i really don't have room for a fuge. I bought a canister filter a few months back and looking back I wish i wouldn't have. ???

Back
Top Bottom