Dieing coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishKing87

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

Hoping someone out there can help out!

Have this unknown coral as seen in the picture, the large branchy one, older picture of when it was happy and healthy.
Last week noticed a large brown ring around its base, didn't think much but decided to keep a close eye on it. Today picked it up to take a closer look since it was small, sad and shrunk to half the size and the trunk was completely rotted off! Just hanging by a thread! Now I know it's pretty much toast but any thoughts as to the chances of it attaching to another rock? or any thoughts as to causes?

Super disappointing day....

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• image-2039914734.jpg
    image-2039914734.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 117
  • image-1367119547.jpg
    image-1367119547.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 121
That is or was a Kenya tree coral. I had one a long time ago, that just disintegrated. I never knew why.
The only thing I could offer as a reason yours rotted off its base, is that it was possibly stung by all the large Aptasia anemones that surround it. I can count 4 or 5 of them right next to it.
They are a pest anemone that will reproduce quickly, and can sting corals and fish. I'm not positive if Aptasia could have done this to your coral, but it's the only thing I can offer as a reason.
Hope this helps. :)

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

The pic is outdated so since then I've purchased a shrimp that has pretty much eaten all of them except one or two. Also after that picture it thrived and basically took up the entire tank, was super happy so I'm confused as to what happen...
Even my water perms are good:

Temp 84.6 (know this is warm)
SG 1.023
PH 8.4
Nitrate 5.0
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0

Kind of at a loss, although I noticed it started to drop branches on rock around it, seemed to attach itself so maybe I'll have another one shortly....
Sad though :(

Yeah, I don't know, that was my best guess.
Like I said, I have no idea why I lost mine either. Kind of strange too, I've read this quite a bit, on this site, dealing with Kenya's.
Good call with the Peppermints too... they love Aptasia, well some of them.
Hope it recovers for you Fishking, best of luck in the future!

Your Kenya tree will drop bits of that will regrow so if they take you are not at a total loss. Bummer on it dying though

FishKing87 said:
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

The pic is outdated so since then I've purchased a shrimp that has pretty much eaten all of them except one or two. Also after that picture it thrived and basically took up the entire tank, was super happy so I'm confused as to what happen...
Even my water perms are good:

Temp 84.6 (know this is warm)
SG 1.023
PH 8.4
Nitrate 5.0
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0

Kind of at a loss, although I noticed it started to drop branches on rock around it, seemed to attach itself so maybe I'll have another one shortly....
Sad though :(

Why do you have your tank so warm?

Yea that's what I'm hoping for, have about 2 frags that have fallen off and attached to a rock!
Today it's almost completely rotted off, going to have to take it out before it crashes my tank!

Tank is hot cause of the weather up here, been super hot the last few weeks, even with AC on it doesn't help!

Softies tend to "wilt" if the temp is very high. Don't think this caused your kenya to die/rot; but just a thought.

Yea absolutely!

Trying to keep the temp down and stable without having to spend an arm and a leg on a chiller....well I mean I would spend it but my wife wouldn't be happy...
Might have to look at installing some fans, or a ceiling fan in the room to help out...

Thanks for everyone's help, too bad I lost it....

Back
Top Bottom