Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-06-2013, 12:31 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i even went and got him some Ghost shrimp and nothing..the sharp nosed puffer was going crazy on them..he showed no interest

Jaygza01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:53 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
Aw that's sucks. Even flakes? Long shot I know and not the best nutrition. My sharpnose eats snails, try that?

Bectan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:01 AM   #13
ya I've tried snails..doesn't even acknowledge flakes..but never has.

Anyone know if its safe to grab a puffer in your hands (underwater)? I've seen it done online w/ a porcupine puffer youtube.

I am considering thawing out some frozen food in tank water..inserting into a syringe I have and inject the food into his open mouth he keeps showing me.

Any advice on something like this will help greatly..I think expecting him to eat on his own is not gonna happen.

My trigger and sharp nose puffer act like they are in love, always together and seems like kissing...would this relationship lol stress out dogface possibly? make him feel left out...causing the uneating...such a complex fish
Old 05-06-2013, 11:34 AM   #14
ok so I've tried to grab him a couple times, had him but hes extremely slippery. Isn't puffing out or anything, just goes to the top of the tank so I take advantage of it. Figure I'll shoot some brine shrimp into his mouth. I've read you may have to re-introduce them to food.

I just tested Nitrates..they are still high, orange on my test kit. What will help me lower these yet not stress fish too bad...continue 10-20 gallon water changes every other day, or a big 50% water change? The puffer still has White waste coming out of him, though he hasn't eaten in days.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:16 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm at a loss for getting him to eat. I've never had a puffer, so no experience to pull from. I would think that grabbing him is going to stress him more though.

For lowering nitrates...make sure that filter media is cleaned frequently. A saltwater tank should not really need anything more than live rock/sand for biological filtration. The skimmer with that should work. Other filters tend to collect food and poop, which leads to nitrates if not cleaned weekly. I'd continue with water changes, but if nitrates keep bouncing up, there is something causing that to happen. Are there any dead spits in your tank where food or poop can collect?
TheTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:47 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
Lowering Nitrates can be accomplished by Vodka dosing or Nitrate destroyer. Both require a skimmer.
Vodka dosing has methanol which binds with the nitrate creating longer protien strings. these cause bigger bubbles in the skimmer, making a better skimmate.
Nitrate destroyer is a simple nitrate eating bacteria. Added daily, they consume nitrate, creating nitrogen gas and then quickly die. Corals will eat the bacteria, but a skimmer will remove them as well.
Having no corals, I'd go with vodka dosing as it is easy and cheaper. Google the technique as there are a few experienced people out there with detailed instructions.
I used both techiques to lower my nitrates in my FOWLR system (had climbed to about 80ppm) once I got a skimmer.

Ingy is offline   Reply With Quote

breathing, eat, eating, eye, not eating, puffer, trouble

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com