Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-21-2011, 10:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Green Zoas

I noticed that on Friday my Green Zoas were not opening up as much and my Frogspawn was not opening up fully. I recently added a pink coral tree (which is doing great). I did a partial water change (10%) parameters are all good but still the zoa is not fully opening up. The frogspawn responded immediately to the water change.

Thoughts on why my zoas may have suddenly decided not to fully open? Most of the polyps are open but a cluster in the center are not.

Chuck

Old 03-21-2011, 10:16 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

They should be okay. What is good as far as parameters go? What's the temp. of your tank. How big is your tank. What type of flow do you have? Zoas close up when not comfortable and for many reasons. Give them some time.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:01 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I am running a Biocube 29. The temp has been been holding steady at 78. The zoa is not directly in the flow but there is some flow there. Lightwise I would say about middle. Frogspawn is a little closer to light.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:54 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok so it appears that there is a small crab that lives only in my zoas. Must be a hitchhiker from the LFS. I see the claws coming out periodically pulling at algae that is growing on the LR. It is too small for me to get a picture although it appears to be a green claw with a black tip.

Should I remove it? If so thoughts on how? It doesn't come out of the zoa ever that I am aware of.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:10 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

If that black tip is pointy more then likely it's a bad crap. If it's really small you can cut the end of a soda plastic bottle about 2 or three inches then invert it to form a funnel put some food in it then lean it up close to the Zoas and you should be good to go.
Old 04-03-2011, 03:39 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Until the leather gets settled in there might be some chemical warfare going on in the tank making the other corals unhappy. I usually do a partial water change and that seems to help.

Most crabs are bad news some people are lucky at get porcelain crabs others aren't so lucky and get gorilla crabs.

Tags
zoas

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com