Hard red algae killing zoas.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gregcoyote

Aquarium Advice Addict
Had a huge colony of common zoas that got infected with a algae that looks like Cyano, but is very hard and difficult to remove. It slowly chokes out the zoas. I finally did a hydrogen peroxide dip that killed the algae in seconds. Now the zoas are recovering. But I am curious as to what this algae is. Looked on all the other forums and they insisted it was calcareous, but it sure doesn't look like the pink and red calcareous algae I already grow. This stuff looks "velvety" but is very tightly attached to the rock. I looked at pieces of it that came off the rock during the dip and it seems to not have any calcium in it. It doesn't grow long filaments either.

The picture shows a tiny bit left I couldn't get at. It looks like cyano but it doesn't blow or even scrub off.

Attachments

• image-1007626549.jpg
    image-1007626549.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
My wrasses kill them as fast as I add them in the main display tank. I thought turf algae as well, but it doesn't seem to get much thickness to it. Probably one of the hundreds of varieties. I showed to to my snails in the frag tank and they all passed on it.

It was only recommended for zoas. Over the counter hydrogen peroxide and tank water at 50/50 ratio in a small bucket. I then did a second dip of tank water to rinse it. It foams and looks awful. Let it fizz for a couple of minutes while swirling to remove dead algae. Then place the zoas in shade with some direct flow to allow the zoas to shed any material that is dead. This has worked as a last ditch for me.

I saw a guys tank with this in person and it won over LPS as well. i don't know what it is, but he fought it for years.

I have had small patches of it until this major attack on the zoas. The peroxide does a real number on the stuff whatever it is.

Back
Top Bottom