help! astreas out of the water. will they die?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaiden

Aquarium Advice FINatic
OK I asked a similar question earlier, so sorry for my newbieness...

I took 6 gal out of my tank for my QT and I don' t have any water made to replace it.

consequently my waterline dropped and the 5 or so astrea that were at the waterline are still there, only now they're out of the water.

Should I pull them off and put them below the water? will they climb down? can they survive out of the water? it has been almost an hour now

I have removed mine by kind of pushing them in then tilting the shell down. It seems to work. I wouldn't just pull them straight away. At least you know their alive and well if their holding on so well!

Don't worry about, they'll find their way back to the water. Most snails come from tidal zones where they are exposed to air for several hours at a time, it won't hurt them.

when these snails are close to shore the tides drop so they have adapted to being above water for a pretty good time. As long as they dont dry off. id say a good 2 hours and your still safe

Ive had similar problems. My black turbos always seem to climb up the glass untill the are almost out of the water. Is this behavior usual?

Pretty common I think. My astrea snails hide along the top rim where it is dark all day with the lights on and minutes after the lights go out, they ALL start to come down and explore the tank leaving trails all night long in the sand/algae.

Normal as I've seen anyway... :p

Back
Top Bottom