Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-23-2004, 11:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jaiden
help! astreas out of the water. will they die?

OK I asked a similar question earlier, so sorry for my newbieness...

I took 6 gal out of my tank for my QT and I don' t have any water made to replace it.

consequently my waterline dropped and the 5 or so astrea that were at the waterline are still there, only now they're out of the water.

Should I pull them off and put them below the water? will they climb down? can they survive out of the water? it has been almost an hour now

Red tiger lilly, Rotala Indica, Sagittaria Subulata, Micro Sword, Cardinal Plant
Fluorite Black sand and gravel
jaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 11:23 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

They should survive, but I would just gently pull them off the glass and put them in the water!

Old 11-23-2004, 11:31 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jaiden
should I pull straight away from the glass? they are really stuck on there!

Red tiger lilly, Rotala Indica, Sagittaria Subulata, Micro Sword, Cardinal Plant
Fluorite Black sand and gravel
jaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 11:36 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have removed mine by kind of pushing them in then tilting the shell down. It seems to work. I wouldn't just pull them straight away. At least you know their alive and well if their holding on so well!
Old 11-24-2004, 12:37 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to jackdp
Don't worry about, they'll find their way back to the water. Most snails come from tidal zones where they are exposed to air for several hours at a time, it won't hurt them.
Old 11-24-2004, 12:38 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

when these snails are close to shore the tides drop so they have adapted to being above water for a pretty good time. As long as they dont dry off. id say a good 2 hours and your still safe
Old 11-24-2004, 12:49 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ive had similar problems. My black turbos always seem to climb up the glass untill the are almost out of the water. Is this behavior usual?
Old 11-24-2004, 01:39 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Pretty common I think. My astrea snails hide along the top rim where it is dark all day with the lights on and minutes after the lights go out, they ALL start to come down and explore the tank leaving trails all night long in the sand/algae.

Normal as I've seen anyway... :P

Equipment: 33G SW Reef tank (pic), 192W Coralife PC lighting, PHs for H2O circulation, Red Sea Berlin Classic Skimmer
Aquascaping: 3" DSB, 50lb live rock (~35 lbs home made Cement Base Rock)
Clean Up Crew: Blue Leg hermits, Cerith snails, Astrea Snails, Stomatella snails, Brittlestar, banded brittles.
Critters: Hawaiian feather duster, Coral Banded Shrimp, Emerald Crab
Corals: Open Brain Coral, Cabbage coral, 4 RBTAs, Melon mushrooms, green Zoos, yellow polyps, finger Leather, orange Zoos, Brown Zoos, Chocolate Zoos, Xenia, GSP, Kenya Tree Coral, 2 acropora SPS, blue sponge, candy cane
Fish/Inverts: Maroon Clownfish, Scooter Blenny, Coral Beauty dwarf angel, Sea Hare
vertex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 01:40 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to XXFirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to XXFirefighter
it's normal no worries !

Tags
die

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com