Hypo or Cupramine? HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have ick in my 2 year old tank. Fortunately for me I only have 4 fish....1 false perc, a velvet dottieback, 1 yellow tailed damsel, and 1 blue regal tang (2 inches). Im torn as to what to use as treatment in my QT tank (30 gallon) Some have had good luck with hypo and others havent. I would like to think this is the better way. I had to treat the tang once before for ick when I first got him, and that was 9 months ago. He developed HLLE then but has all but recovered from it other than slight scarring.
What would you use for txment?
Also I cant find the directions for hypo? I know you have to lower the salinity but I would like to see a step by step as to what I need to do.
Im starting the QT tonight with a seeded spounge from my sump.

Thanks Quarry!! Kudos as well from me!! You convinced me to do hypo vs copper especially as you mentioned I did it before on the tang. Have you done hypo on tangs? Any side effects? going to start tonight...also I can do polyfilter in the HOB filter Im using in the QT right?? Want to mimize the number of water changes but I know I still have to do them. anything Im missing?

Have you done hypo on tangs? Any side effects?
Yes, I treated my Yellow Tang with hypo and she did fine, in fact no ill effects at all. Not to be reduntant but watch that PH because it will take a dive with each FW water change you do. Have some buffer standing by at all times. I do suggest buffering the change water so the PH roller coaster will be a lessened.
Definately in qt, your inverts couldn't handle the drop in SPG and the polyfilter is fine.
Do you own a refractometer? it is needed. I would also (if you can swing it) get a PH monitor, it will make life easier on you.
To get the water to treatment level do 2 (20% of the water volume)changes a day 12 hours apart until you get there. Should be there in 3-4 changes.
All the fish are in qt...right? I know, its a pain.. :roll:
Good luck and keep us posted. (y)

Well thats good to hear quarry...how long have you been ick free?? yes all of the fish are now in QT as of last night. Im going to take it a lot slower than 12 hours to bring down the salinity...I just am not at home that much...which is fine as Im going to leave the main fallow longer...

Back
Top Bottom