Ich/ High Ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmmm...that ammonia is coming from somewhere. You say you never had nitrites or nitrates, so the tank never cycled? That would mean no beneficial bacteria, which would explain the ammonia spike, but its odd that its not converting to nitrites then nitrates. Your stock does not seem like too much bio-load for an established tank, but could be without enough BB to keep it in check.

I cycled it for 45 days but I never had any livestock in it while I did it. Like I didn't use any fish to cycle it.

I uploaded my test results into my photo album as ammonia

I was under the impression the live rock would create the cycling

The beneficial bacteria needs a constant source of ammonia, either from fish waste, rotting shrimp or by dosing with pure ammonia.

The one missing fish was probably eaten by the crabs...can't imagine that could continue to raise ammonia so much, so fast. I'm not sure about the sea hare releasing the toxin,,,I'm not sure if that has anything to do with ammonia levels.

I'd keep the water changes going and make sure that filter is getting changed regularly. Hopefully the BB can get going. I'm not sure why the ammonia is not converting to nitrite or nitrates though.

Are your fish still eating?

My fish stress when my ammo levels hit 2. Try comparing test results against another kit, or test newly mixed water that should have 0 ammo.

Yeah they are all eating fine even the tang with the ich is eating. He was very lazy the last 2 days untill yesterday. He was active all yeaterday, I think he is overcoming it.

Since day one my nitrites and nitrates have never changed.

The ammonia was at zero for a week or so since I added the fish from day one. It has risen since then from .25 to .50 with a fluctuation plus or minus.

from these two statements, you've told us indirectly that your tank never properly cycled and that you added fish pretty early to the tank. Simply adding live rock to a tank with no source of ammonia wont do a single thing, itll actually kill off the BB on the live rock ( they need to eat too). at this point frequent water changes, significantly reduced feedings, and time will help fix the problem. essentially you need to play damage control long enough for your BB to build up. I don't think any of us caught onto proper tank cycling the first time (or even the second time) around so its an honest mistake that we all make. ;) just stay steady at this point and don't overreact (that's the worst thing). hopefully when the dust settles, youll be a lesson smarter and more thankful for the fish you have:) good luck

I have done multiple water changes since then and my ammonia levels are stuck at 8.0 ppm my poor tang still has ich for weeks now but seems ok regardless. I give up on the ammonia it wont go down regardless of all my attempts and I haven't loss any fish with the high levels? Mind boggled at this point! Im going to let nature do its thing!

The ammonia has to be coming from somewhere. It does not just appear from nothing. Naturally, it should convert to nitrite, then nitrate. I'm lost as to what would cause it to stall and stay as ammonia. I would get the water tested at the LFS. You may have a bad kit. You've got nothing to lose by getting a second opinion. If it stays high, it will kill everything in the tank.

If you are not treating the Ich, you still have that problem if/when the parameters get in check. Even if the Tang lives, so does the Ich and any fish you add could get it.

Back
Top Bottom