Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-17-2005, 10:03 PM   #61
Aquarium Advice Addict

The fish has 2 spots left that I can identify. One of them is brighter than the other one. The fish has an overall dusty look to him, but is otherwise acting very happy. He's actually been sitting in front of me looking back rather than swimming off to hide the second I round the corner into the room. He ate greedily while I sat in front of the tank putting food in.

>> Dusty looking fish Video <<
>> More of a dusty fish Video <<

Hopefully they're long enough for you to get an idea of what I'm talking about.

The gramma on the other hand... she just won't come out at all. I've seen her swim all of 2 minutes in the last 2 days and her gills move in dramatic movements. Not what I'd call fast, but I can definitely see them moving out and in again. Wound on her head looks status quo. No idea if she has any ich left on her. Can't get her out to see.

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 10:11 PM   #62
steve-s

Try some live brine. It might rekindle the feeding response. Not a nutritious alternative but getting the gramma eating is more important.

Cheers
Steve
Old 03-18-2005, 07:57 AM   #63
Aquarium Advice Addict

I lost the gramma this morning. She had a few more of those fleshy looking white spots on her back and there was a redness under them and under a few other areas on her back. Turns out I don't think what was on the top was a "gash" as in from an injury, but more like some sort of deterioration of the fish. When I went to clean the tank this morning she was floating. I'm not totally surprised based on how she's been acting the last few days, but I am really sad. RIP, Gramma.

Did the ich do her in? Secondary infection? Some sort of injury? I guess without a photo there's no telling but I didn't even think to do that at the time. *sigh*

Does the tang look ok in those videos? Is that "dusty" look normal or am I still under treatment until his skin looks normal? How long once the spots are gone until we start raising the salinity?

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
Old 03-18-2005, 11:25 AM   #64
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Sorry for your loss. Sounds like a secondary infection probably bacterial.
Waiting fro the video to load (i'm on dialup)
*edit*
Kinda hard to tell from the vid, but...
The tang looks pretty good from what I can see. Is she eating OK?
May have some temporary scarring from the ich. Watch her close and keep us posted.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:15 PM   #65
Aquarium Advice Addict

The tang eats like a pig. Everything that falls into the tank! Doesn't matter what it is. Formula 1, 2, Prime Reef, cyclopeze flake. You name it (and all that I can put in). Cleans a nori clip a day. His poop looks a little softer than the larger yellow in my main. Seems to "mush" more than stay formed. This morning there were no more spots on the fish. He's getting garlic and selcon alternating every other day mixed with his food.

Dial up?! What's THAT!? Dude... you need a cable modem!

Old 03-18-2005, 01:26 PM   #66
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
To expensive here at the store.....lol
It stinks too, I make a living off the net.
You may want to see if your LFS has any maracyn 2. If the fish doesn't improve in a day or two, I would consider treating with a broad spectrum antibiotic like this. Won't hurt at all with hypo. You would do a double dose and leave it in for a full 7 days.
In the meantime try feeding him some frozen peas to see if you can get that stool to harden up a bit.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:38 PM   #67
steve-s

Sorry for your loss

Question in regards to the gramma, did you notice and faded patches or whitish lines on it anywhere prior to death?

Cheers
Steve
Old 03-18-2005, 10:52 PM   #68
Aquarium Advice Addict

Definitely whitish areas and red splotches. Yeah, I guess some of the areas looked like the color had fallen off of her. Her fins looked a little deteriorated as well.

Old 03-18-2005, 11:03 PM   #69
steve-s

Be very watchful of the tang then, I am inclined to think Uronema may have been the cause. Curiously I have seen a few gramma related problems indicitive of Uronema over the past few weeks posted in this forum. It might just have been an advanced case of a bacterial infection, stress or lack of feeding. Either way, just be watchful.

Cheers
Steve
Old 03-18-2005, 11:12 PM   #70
Aquarium Advice Addict

GASP! Those symptoms sound entirely too familiar. I shudder. What do I do if the Tang falls ill with this? How will I recognize it on a purple fish!?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com