Midas Blenny

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Notafan21

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I purchased a midas blenny about 3 weeks ago. He has been in a QT tank since I got him. At the LFS he was swimming around the tank and eating, I drip acclimated him for a little over 2 hours before I put him in QT. He didnt really move for about 2 days and would not eat anything. Eventually he began eating and swimming occasionally, but after I did my last water change he seems stressed again and is not eating or moving from under his rock. He looks sick, he is breathing heavy and looking lethargic. All of my paramaters are good. I am wondering if Midas blennies tend to be shy or do you think I might have stressed him when I was working in the tank. What do you guys think??

Amm. 0
Nitrate 5
Nitrite 0
ph 8.2
temp 76
Salinity 1.023

Hi there. Did you match the water when you did the pwc for temp and salintiy? Maybe that has something to do with it. Just a thought, as that's the only thing I can think of.

I don't have a midas blenny but from what I heard they are very active and social fish so something must be bugging him. How big is your qt? Is ther anything else in the qt with him?

Yes, I matched the temp and salinity, its a 10g tank, there is no other livestock, just a few larger pieces of rock rubble and some PVC pipe. He is still just hanging out in his corner panting. Hopefully he shows some improvement tomorrow. I am not sure what else to do.

Hows the gas exchange in the QT is there enough water movement do you test the water every other day trAtes can build up fast

Well he is still hanging in there, but not much has changed. I have an air stone in there now, do you think thats enough? I test my water every other day and do 20% pwc once a week.

is it a full grown midas? maybe its stressed out just cuz its in a small tank, either way if you don't see any signs of sickness why not add him to your main display tank and see how he reacts, he might become more active.

they also tend to be perching fish, so they like to sit on a rock and relax, they are not always swimming

He is about 4 inches. The thought crossed my mind to add him to the DT, he doesnt have any obvious signs of illness, just the lethargy at the bottom of the tank and lack of eating. He also has the blotchy brown stress spots. My only concern is that if he is sick and not just stressed, then I would be transferring that illness into my tank. On the other hand I dont want to kill him from being stressed in a tank too small. What do you guys think. Should I move him over??

So I decided that I should try moving him into the DT, but in my effort to get him out of QT I noticed a wound on his side right under his fin. I now know that this is why he is stressed and not swimming. It is hard to say how severe it is, but it looks like it has already started to heal. There is a hunk of tissue hanging out of his side. Is there anything I can do? I tried to target feed him and he eats a tiny bit. I also moved all of the rock out of the way so he doesnt get hung up on anything since he cant swim well. I was thinking is there some sort of antibiotics that I could use to help with the healing?

Hmm very good question. I know you can use melafix on fw but not sure on sw.

Maybe some one else can chime in?

Remove air stone it causes embolisms in marine fish. Your flow is most likely to weak. Fish go into shutdown in low flows as they think they are in a rock pool. Add a power head

Back
Top Bottom