Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-09-2004, 11:46 AM   #11
steve-s

Doubling the dosage is usually recommended for saltwater treatments. My appologies for not mentioning that...

Since you have the med, I still think you can use it if you remove the dosage you have in there now. Run with carbon for a day, do a good water change and then start again as recommended above. Furacyn will also work (Terry not being a fan or Maracyn) but I leave that choice to you.

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-09-2004, 11:54 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Steve,

Just to clarify, I should double the recommended dosage even if it is the maracyn two for saltwater?

Also, earlier you were concerned I was not using a QT. Do you think I need to remove the few pieces of coral rock I have for cover?

Thanks,

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 12:02 PM   #13
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by afilter
Just to clarify, I should double the recommended dosage even if it is the maracyn two for saltwater?
Yes

Quote:
Also, earlier you were concerned I was not using a QT. Do you think I need to remove the few pieces of coral rock I have for cover?
If it is a natural substance then remove it. If an artificial product it will not be that porous it might be fine but in all honestly, plastics are the best to use as they will not absorb as readily and skew your results.

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-09-2004, 12:33 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

I will get carbon going tonight. On Sunday I will do a 50% water change with water from the main tank and probably restart the treatment.

Provided the cost of the medication I will probably stick with the M2 for now.

I will also find a substitute for the coral rock, I think PVC is recommended in one of the articles.

Thanks,

Old 01-09-2004, 06:43 PM   #15
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by afilter
I think PVC is recommended in one of the articles.
It is and most do use it. Something easily cleaned, non porous and SW safe. Plastic materials are usually the best as long as they are not decorated with paints and such.

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-09-2004, 07:30 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
The M2 I am using is the saltwater variation not the Freshwater. Do you still recommend the increased dosage?
Unless I'm mistaken...the FW and SW have the same dosae, it is simply worded different in the instructions.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 04:01 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

I like Maracyn-Two as an antibiotic. The dose suggested on the box after the first day is just no strong enough. I just feel that it may be better to switch to nitrofurazone since the bacteria has already been exposed to a sublethal dose of M2 which could make it resistant. I wouldn't use Furacyn (nitrofurazone) as suggested on the box either. I suggest dosing nitrofurazone ONLY on the first day of treatment. I would use Nitrofurazone at 30mg/gal and then leave the fish in the medicated water 3 to 5 days. If the fish makes a quick recovery or seemed to be stressed by the nitrofurazone then I would only leave them in the treated water 3 days.
Terry B
Terry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 11:37 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks for all the advice, but unfortunately my pygmy was dead when I came home tonight. Not sure what went wrong, I followed the suggested dosage for M2 and started the new treatment yesterday. I did run carbon for a day prior and did a water change prior to starting the second round of meds. This AM all still seemed well except for he notch in the tail.

I guess I will clean up the QT and look for a replacement in a few weeks.

Old 01-13-2004, 11:59 AM   #19
steve-s

Sorry for the loss of the angel

The med or the bacterial infection should not have been the cause. Could have been something amiss with the QT water via NH3, NO2 or ph. There is also the strong possiblility of the angel being cyanide caught.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
angel

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com